getting robbed in philly

allen levine

I just booked a room in a Philadelphia, Sheraton , a place I have to attend a family event.

43.20 each night to valet park car.

there is no hotel parking except for the valet.

there is no street parking overnight and Im not looking to park 1/2 a mile from hotel.

Ive never paid that amount to park, not even in midtown manhattan at much nicer hotels than this Sheraton(Ive been there 3 years ago and parking was brutal then)

Last edited:
Which one you at? They all seem to offer a self-park option for a little less.

nope,. were not there yet, we made reservations today, we called separately to question them about parking.
no self parking. they didn't offer any suggestions as to where to park, but from what Ive read, seems any garage, which aren't close by, charge close to 30 plus tax for overnight.
I guess that philly parking wars show and what people say about trying to park in Philadelphia is true. Parking is a nightmare in that city.
and I remember years back when we went to that hotel, parking enforcement agents were across the street all day long handing out tickets continuously to people who let their meters expire(I believe parking was allowed up till a certain hour, don't really remember, only remember my relatives trying to park near hotel and they gave up after an hour)

That's Highway Robbery (even if it's not on a highway) :rofl:

Only suggestion is if you don't actually need your car while in the city is to park at a train station and ride in. Guess you need to trade off taxi fare vs. rail parking/rates.

Just know they get you coming and going :doh:

Well pretty foolish for the city to allow a situation where parking is so exhorbitant. I feel sorry for the retailers downtown anywhere when this occurs its a deterent to sales in a time when people go to the store by vehicle.
I guess the hotel industry is following the airline industry and looking to make their margin off the extras like the airlines do from bagage and onboard food etc.
Enter the age of options that are not exactly options.
Negative kind of marketing in my opinion spun into user pays logic and so called customer service thats Not.

sent from s4

Most I've paid is about #30.00 per day - and that was in Cincinnati, Ohio, of all places. Even Los Angeles was only about $24.00.

What's it cost to 'lose' a car for a day in Metro NYC, Allen?

Waldorf Astoria NYC says $60.00 per day on their website, but I'd guess (hope!) that'd be just about the most expensive hotel parking there is.

Last edited:
jim, Ive stayed at the Roosevelt hotel in manhattan, not the waldorf ofcourse, but still midtown, and valet there was around 30 per night.
The thing about the city is that you can walk a few blocks and find overnight parking at a reasonable price.
In this area of philly were going to, there are few garages and none Id want to walk too late at night, or in cruddy weather.
parking by the hour during daytime hours is ridiculous in manhattan, but overnight, once businesses close down, is not that expensive.

rob-my sil is a starwood member?
they ask when you make a reservation.
The room was listed for 272 a night with restrictions.
We were part of a party where rooms were blocked off, so 200 a night.
As a starwood member, my sil was quoted 325 a night. Ridiculous.
this is a regular hotel, nothing fancy. and this is Philly, its not the center of LA., NY or Chicago.

Im with Rob on this, and this is why everyone sees tons of empty storefronts all over the cities.

Philadelphia is known to be unfriendly to autos. Watch the TV show parking wars, everyone complains owning a car in Philadelphia is challenging.

I took my wife out to lunch today around 12:30 in my local village. Just a quick bagel/sandwich and coffee.
The big church down the block usually lets out around this time so the streets are busy and parking is difficult, but theres no charge for street parking on sunday.(meters are free on sunday)
A woman pulled up in front of the store, we were sitting at a window seat, and she got out of her car and left it in the bus stop.
Immediately, a code enforcement officer was writing a ticket. Her daughter(maybe, could have been just a friend), sitting in the passenger seat, got out and went around to the drivers side, didn't say a word to the officer as he stood there Im guessing writing down her veh ID number from the windshield, and she just pulled away.
She is an idiot.
First, the officer has her plate number, and if she thinks she can ignore this ticket, shes crazy.
she will get it in the mail with a court date, and she must appear.
When she ignores it, a warrant will be issued. Noone will pursue the warrant ofcourse, but in the event she gets pulled over for any traffic violation in the future, she will be arrested, all for a 100 dollar ticket she chose to ignore, and from the looks of her laughing when her daughter came back to get her, I doubt very much she will pay the ticket or care about it.
Foolish woman.
Parking might be a bit of a chore on sunday morning where I was today because of the church, but with a bit of patience or a block or two walk, you can get it and I don't think it hurts the local businesses near me. Bus stop parking is frowned upon, anywhere.

Last edited:
I had to bail out my roommate in CA (1980's) because she ignored parking tickets. She got caught speeding on her way to the boat to Catalina Island and it ruined her day (mine too). Most of us out west and in small communities in the fly-over country are pretty spoiled with free parking. Sadly, it's another reason to shop on-line. If they make the actual experience too painful and too expensive...why would you do it?:dunno:

Its really only the center of all the big cities.
all the burbs/long island, theres all the free parking you want.
NY city, its just too congested, like Philly I guess, so they discourage people from driving their cars, and offer a lot of public transportation.
I often went in nyc for work related reasons, and I usually took the subway from across the river. For 2.00, it would let me off a block from where I had to go, just a lot of stairs.
the train is a 5 minute walk from my house, and it takes you into nyc in 35-40 minutes and drops you right in penn station in the middle of NY.
My wife went into the city Friday, she had tickets for the view, only to find out someone made a huge booboo because they don't shoot the show on Fridays.
but they went shopping, went to eat lunch, so getting around the city is easy enough, as long as you leave the car home.

Here in Detroit{downtown} there's plenty of parking unless there is a convention, show, festival etc going on. During those times folks open up their private lots and charge from $10.00 up to whatever they feel they can get away with...worse thing is, those brazen con-artists who collect fees in broad daylight, who have no ties to the actual owner of said lots...seen plenty of vehicles towed...mood spoiler for sure {DAMHIKT}.