Split Pea Soup

Don Baer

Staff member
Well LOML has been complaining that I have accumulated a few ham bones in the freezer and asked me when I was going to use them up. I usually make some bean soup with them. the she reminded me that I have complained that I can get decent pea soup since I was spoiled by the soup at Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton California. Sea suggested I try to make some so I looked around on the internet for some recipes and came up with one that sounded like it would work. here is what I ended up with.

1 ham bone with a fair mount of leftover meat on it in a pot.
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp majoram
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 quarts water
opps forgot
2 carrots diced
2 celery stalks diced
1/2 onion diced

place on low heat until it starts to simmer then leave simmering for 2 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. remove bone from broth and add 1 lbs dried split peas remove all the meat from the bone and place meat and bone back in pot, let cook until peas are mushy (about 1-1/2 hr. ) . Remove bone and puree soup. (I use a immersion blender) I also didn't use a teaspoon just eye balled it. I think mine was as good if not better then I had at peas Soup Andersen's

Last edited:
Thank you Don!!!
I love that stuff...green is good...I'm a quarter Irish. I have to cut it down, Stacey thinks it's rotten if it's green, but she eats salads all week!! We'll swap recipes on this one!!

Thank you Don!!!
I love that stuff...green is good...I'm a quarter Irish. I have to cut it down, Stacey thinks it's rotten if it's green, but she eats salads all week!! We'll swap recipes on this one!!

Jim Sherrie won't eat it either (although she has never tried it either) but believe it or not it will freeze. I put the remainder in smaller single serving containers and freeze em. Then I have em for lunch when I am in the mood.

Last edited: