My little cnc toy a Shapeoko 2

Garry Foster

Well I mentioned a while back That I had ordered a Shapeoko 2 kit. It has came and I have it more or less together. They have a file that is their version of the infamous "Hello World" that all programming courses used to start with. In this case it runs it's own name in Gcode.

Put up a short video of it running this test with a pen on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTZ_JOQoN7I

And now to get it to actually cut some wood one of these days.. Still have a lot of finishing up to do, example the drivers still aren't packaged after owning them for 5 years or so

Garry

Love it.

I am so buried in remodeling right now I cannot do anything CNC of shop "fun" related.

I just hate being on this side of the fence.

That machine looks cool - can you show - tell a little more about the machine.

What programming software came with it.

That looks pretty cool, Garry!

It sounds like your Z is running with some really low acceleration values, judging by how slowly it picks up the pen. Is that intentional based on it using a pen? Your X and Y sound like they hop to pretty rapidly but the Z seemed to take awhile. I'm wondering if that was due to holding a pen or if maybe there was some mechanical reason behind it.

Thanks for posting this! You're gonna have a blast! I love watching CNC take off in hobbyist shops :D

Leo
It was a bare mechanical kit. I added motors Which turned into a real job. i had some Nema 17's on hand I picked off Ebay as new removed from equipment. They had pressed on pulleys which were wrong and I had to get them off. Then the shafts turned out to be 4 mm while all the drive units were 5mm. I made aluminum bushings but that didn't leave much wall.

It came with no software and the current control software is TurboCnc from
http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html
This is free but I did register it years ago it was 20 dollars back then.
Cam software is CamBam unregistered and the free ACE Converter also from Dak.
Drivers are PMDX.COM model 150 no longer available.

The control software is running on a 15 year old (more or less) Win 98 laptop. The software has to be ran under pure dos which Win 98 still included.

Jason
Yes the Z is running much slower as it is a 1.25 pitch threaded rod with a tapped of piece derlrin for the lead screw nut. The x and y run with 20 tooth pulleys a 2 mm GT2 belting. The Y has dual motors on the same driver. Some are having problems with the delrin binding so I have set it slow for now.

Paul - sounds like you are having fun.

I do love it when someone gets into the fun of CNC just for the fun of it.

I know someone that made a CNC machine around Drawer Slides.

CamBam seems to be somewhat popular - how do you like it?