Raised Panel Kitchen doors - Drawer Fronts

Leo Voisine

Attended the Boston Home Show today. First time for everything - last time also.

Anyway --- Diane and I liked the Ogee curved doors more than the flat cutter I have or the concave cutter - so I ordered a nice ogee Freud cutter.

Yeah - I know lots of folk don't like Freud - Why - I don't know --- but I like Freud.

Panel Profile.jpg

Router Bit.jpg

I like the little radius at the top of the ogee

Outside Profile.jpg

This is the outside edges of the doors and the drawer fronts

The corners are softer - I like that.

I may even hand sand all radiused to break down the sharp edges everywhere.

I was also liking the glazed finishes - I may give that a try.

I am seriously considering CNC'ing some 3D engravings into the door panels.

well i was told this wknd that Frued is now under ryoby control? so get your red stuff quick. the roman ogee style is one of my preferences too.
you have the raised panel and the door edge profile but you need a set of rail and stile cutters to.

Leo i like the same edge and finish. Just one thing you might want to think about in your consideration on the potential 3D engravings is the question of how long you plan on being in the house after your kitchen reno. The kitchen is a place which conrtributes to sale of a home. Neutral raised panel will be broadly accepted and earn serious credits, that could all be spoilt if someday the potential buyer dont like your carvings. So if you staying in the home, go to town and forget my comment but if you thinking of selling in the near future after you done then think of erring on the buyers side and making sure what you do will appeal to the widest audience. Just my 5 cents.

Ohh - YES

I do have the Rail and Stile cutters already. I have made many raised panels. This is not my first shot at it. The panel cutter is my fourth panel cutter. I also have many many other profiling cutters.

The rail and stile are pretty basic - standard set.

Diane and I are satisfied with that.

Stick cutters.jpg

This is the style I have
I don't have yellow cutters - my cutters are RED - Freud
I have cut many many stick

My cabinet bits came it - and I gave them a test run.

I don't know what Freud is doing different - but the big bit does NOT cut like my other big Freud bit.

It cuts much better, not to say the others are bad. If they were bad I would not keep buying Freud.

This one cuts smooth and sweet. - WOW.

I stepped up on depth on the side grain. On the End grain - I took FULL depth on one pass - never did that before. It was NO issue at all.

I did hit the sandpaper - 350 grit - gust a tiny little touch - the side grain really did not need sanding - and the end grain - not really but a touch did help it a little.

cab-3.jpgcab-2.jpgcab-1.jpgcab-4.jpg

Are the grind angles the same - rake/relief?
Actually, I think they are a little more of a positive cut angle on the main cutters - the 2 scrapers are negative angle. There may be just a TAD more relief.

I think the biggest difference is in the "grinding" of the carbide. The grind is smoother. They are very sharp.

Maybe the other cutters I have just have miles on them, and need to be resharpened.

I should contact Freud to see if they have a resharpening program.

Looking good! :thumb: Maybe a next project could be some matching wainscotiing paneling in the dinning area and the entry area to tie the house together with the kitchen. :)

Those look beautiful, nice design.