Need a good plunge router what one?

ed sautter

Looking to get a first time plunge router. Have used Porta cable routers in the job shop for many years. I have to say nice but not user friendly in my opinion. Or at least I didn't care for them that much. Have a project I'm setting myself up for and will need a good router to work in hardwood. Cutting mostly dado pockets and such. I'm looking for best for buck if anyone has any advice I'd be glad to hear it. Routers I'd avoid, routers that work best for you that you swear by. I'm in the looking stage and ready to get one in hand soon. So any help would be great. Thanks

Its too bad manufacturers won't stay consistent enough for me to confidently recommend a brand. I can only state my experience. I have a couple Milwaukee 5616-24 combo routers and mainly use the plunge bases. When I bought them everyone seemed to be singing their praises they were the best feeling plunge mechanisms in a 2-1/4HP router that I had found. The last set I bought was about 3 years ago and it was just as good as the set I bought a few years before that. How they fare this afternoon, I dare not say. I returned a DeWalt set as the plunge mechanism was too sloppy; I could deviate over a 32nd of an inch by applying more pressure to one side and then the other and the plunge would bind and then suddenly move. . . not good for a lot of things I do. This was about 5 years ago and I know a lot of people love their DeWalts so this may have been solved. The Bosch kit get a lot of good press from owners. YMMV.

P.s. "I have a couple Milwaukee 5616-24 combo routers", oops, just checked, I actually have three combo bases, one came with the 5615 combo. I'm not absent minded, I just happen to have a small herd of Milwaukees :eek:. The 5615 ad 5616 motors will swap between any of the plunge an fixed bases so this works well for me. I have bases setup for certain tasks and just load the motor that is appropriate for the task; 5615 is fixed speed but light in weight, 5616 is VS and packs more punch. Needless to say they've been good to me.

Last edited:
What's your budget? That has a lot to do with which router is best for you. If you"re interested in decent but cheap I have a SKil 1825 http://www.skiltools.com/Tools/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?model=1825 new never used. I got this for a project and then never started the project, so it's still brand new. I have 2 other routers now so I don't need it. It's a good setup and should be great for what you want to do but it's not the best out there. I'd let it go for $50 plus the shipping. If you're interested let me know.

Budget isn't any worry. I need good working machine to do the job. Money will sort it self out. Although that being said I'd think 500.00 to be far to much for any router so there is some limit.

Budget isn't any worry. I need good working machine to do the job. Money will sort it self out. Although that being said I'd think 500.00 to be far to much for any router so there is some limit.

The big Milwaukee is really good, and I've heard some good things about the Tritons (but have never used one). For less bucks, but still a good plunger, the Hitachi M12V is good. I've had mine (in a table) for about ten years, and it's been pretty reliable, other than needing the dust cleaned out of the mechanism every couple years. :D

Like Jim D., I have an M12V I had in a table for several years. I changed it out last year for reasons totally unrelated to its performance and reliability. I no longer need it, so maybe we can make a deal. PM me, if interested.

I have a Triton MOF001 and it's a great router, the TRA001 is a beast but like most 3+hp routers it's almost to big to use by hand, more suited to a table. I think the 2 ¼, 2½ hp routers are about as big as you can comfortably use hand held.

I have two Tritons (MOF001 C 2 1/4 hp plunge), one Porter Cable (1001 T2), one Ryobi (181 FB) and a Bosch Colt.

Whenever it is appropriate I use the Bosch Colt because it is light and very easy to use. However, it is for 1/4 shaft tools only and does not have the poop for anything major.

The Tritons are my favorites. They are identical and run smoothly. The plunge mechanisms operate smoothly and accurately. One of them stays in the router table because the Tritons have above the table adjustments for depth and bit changing. The scale on the above table adjustment is very accurate and gives no trouble making 1/128 inch adjustments. They are very comfortable to use by hand. I tried the TRA001 and, as Earl said, "It is a beast;" it was definitely not for me. I tried a less expensive model Triton and did NOT care for it at all; I returned it---my main objection was a rough plunge mechanism. I cannot remember the model number of that unit. I purchased it at Highland. They took it back with no problem and I purchased another MOF001 C2.

I have found the Triton MOF001 to have plenty of power. However, I do not own any of the "Monster" class bits.

I hope this has been helpful for you.

Enjoy,
JimB

I replaced a PC 690 with a Milwaukee 5616, liked it so well I also bought a 5615 kit. Like Glenn mentioned above, the motors swa=p back and forth, and important to me...several of the PC accessories, like my edge guide, work on the Milwaukees. The Milwaukee has a longer plunge stroke (my main problem with the PC) and they are quite smooth. The motor swaps really easily (another negative with the PC) between bases, and it has a base that can be centered (not the PC). But like Glenn cautioned, Milwaukee was bought out, it would pay to have one in hand (new models) to examine...mine are both about 6 years old.

Last edited:
Count me as a Milwaukee fan too. The plunge base on the 5615 is the best I've used....same base fits the 5616. It's a little stiffer than some, but is excellent. Very stout routers with good precision, and a well balanced feel. Whatever you pick, make sure it's comfortable to you. You probably already know this, but the sake of others who may not....get a router that accepts 1/2" bits.

Oh I agree need to be 1/2" for sure. It's a long term investment for me so I want to have the best, user friendly unit I can afford for my money. Thanks for the advice. Now need to see these models in hand and have a good look at them.

I've got several routers. Two are strictly plunge routers, the Dewalt DW621 and the DW625. I like both routers quite a lot. I put an XL Quick Change Chuck on the DW625 and the standard Quick Change Chuck on the DW621 which makes changing bits really simple.

XL-625-Chuck.jpg

I am surprised that nobody has recommended the Festool 1400. My one and only (at that time) router died in mid-project, and not wanting to take time to research or experiment, I bought the Festool. It has become my favorite. Supports 1/4". 8 mm, and 1/2 inch. But nicest thing is that the bit is always centered in the collar or any other guide (unlike my other routers over the years). Smooth plunge. Holds settings very well. Easy bit change. Powerful. Light enough to use by hand. I even use it to drill shelf pin holes (lots of plunges through a template with a 1/4 inch bit). Dust collection is amazing for a router.

I also have a Colt, nice but not a lot of power, and only 1/4 inch.

I also have a mid-size Bosch, so I can use two setups, but the Festool is always the primary, whether the plunge is used or not.

I dumped my DeWalt after the factory service center rebuilt it twice (full price each time) and it still didn't work right.

And my Sears router died so long ago I forgot to include it in the list.

Ed, why did you not like the Porter cable? I have PC and I like them - never really heard someone say they didn't like PC.

Have some 20 PC fixed and plunge routers in the countertop shop. I used them for years and found that the PC although good and lasting, some 10 years or more, are just to heavy for general use. The plunge routers were big and bulky and I don't like to the plunge router workings. It is quite a tough unit but not to my liking.

I have a pretty sizeable collection of routers, ranging from a small PC laminate trimmer up to a 3-1/4 horse PC plunge, The pc 690 with the standard and plunge bases and a few milwaukees.. I have to say though when I do need the plunge function or running against a guide, my go to is the dewalt 621. Hands down the best of the bunch. I especially like the straight edges of the base for riding a fence. Excellent dust collection and it will handle a wide range of bits. I believe this was the old Elu that Black n Decker bought back in the 80's from Europe. Anyway, it comes with all the dc attachments and a fence plus both 1/2 and 1/4" collets. 2hp variable speed soft start. It takes a little getting used to with the shape of the base, but, once mastered, it performs flawlessly. (Im seeing in this ad and on amazon they aren't listing the fence or the case.. hmmm...)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...u=203164066&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

Last edited:
Rich, saw that one over the weekend and like the smooth action of the plunge base good feel to it to. May have to get some of the others in my hands to compare to.

Carol, we do have a CNC as well and agreed it works far better. The down fall is you can't take it with you when you want to work else where. I'm just not up to lugging it around like I once was. :D