Hole Saw Kit ??

I think a quarter inch bit is pretty much the 'standard.' Both the arbors on my Milwaukee set are quarter inch, and so is the (unknown brand) extra arbor I bought.

That DeWalt set you referenced looks like a pretty good assortment, and if (and only if) you're gonna be using most of the saws in the kit, is a pretty good price. If you're only going to use a couple of them, individual purchases might work out better, price-wise.

I'm guessing you're about to go into wooden wheel production?

You are probably right about buying single pieces. I plan on making various size wheels, but who knows, I have a tendency to change interests along the way. If I do make various sizes, I can always add the ones I need.

And yep, Jim, I'm getting closer. Got to figure how to remount the rim on the lathe for shaping. Some kind of jam chuck, I guess. Like making a bagel, I guess. Maybe shape it after I mount the tire part on it.

Last edited:
between the chucks and the cutters you need to do a comparison paul,, single smalle cutters arent to expensive but once you get into the larger sizes they add up quick.

between the chucks and the cutters you need to do a comparison paul,, single smalle cutters arent to expensive but once you get into the larger sizes they add up quick.

Yes, After pricing individusls for the sizes I may need it adds up fast.

I was out looking at a site called: http://www.the-blueprints.com/ they have blue prints for a 1965 Sumbeam Tiger. I owned a 1966. was my favorite car of all I owned. Love to make a model of it! Ah, when I'm good at this.

Yes, After pricing individusls for the sizes I may need it adds up fast.

I was out looking at a site called: http://www.the-blueprints.com/ they have blue prints for a 1965 Sumbeam Tiger. I owned a 1966. was my favorite car of all I owned. Love to make a model of it! Ah, when I'm good at this.

Paul, first of all you obviously are ready to build your dream model. Go for it!
Secondly, that is a nice set of hole saws & at a great price. Great tool when needed. If you decide later that it isn't right for you, you could always sell it & most likely get your money back. Other sizes that you might need in the future could be individual purchases, but the kit itself would be hard to pass up. Such a deal - go for it!

Lenox is pretty much the gold standard but the dewalt looks pretty good too.

I'm sure that you know that hole saws tend to cut a pretty rough hole so if you are looking for a finished smooth hole they will probably disappoint you.