Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oneway and other goodies

just south of the LA/MS border off of I-55

oneway and other goodies

Supplier shopping. Looking to buy a Wolverine Vari-grind L, a One Way live center and the big bite drive center to go in my Talon chuck, and a Beale buffing system with a few extras. Going about three hundred out of pocket with a few knick-knacks added. I can't remember who I dealt with a year ago so I'm supplier shopping. Any quality supplier have a discount or shipping deal going that stocks this stuff? Who is your go to supplier?

I tried to do a search and the search engine said something about me being too common. Pretty sure I have been insulted!

Hu

I'm a CSUSA fan...best but I'd jump on the Google machine and see what's up.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Been searching, getting 473 hits on the same three sites when I search. So far one supplier has everything I need but I have had issues in the past with them. I have an over $200 order in limbo there that they never shipped. Making me a little crazy, I have that hanging, a $320 check I sent a hundred miles missing in the mail for months still out there somewhere, and now another $27 check I sent off a few weeks ago that seems to have disappeared into space. After years of no issues I'm getting gunshy about mail order.

Going visit CSUSA and see what they have. Thanks!

Hu

A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

If you have an outstanding order in limbo...cancel it and move on! I just had to do that with a pen part vendor...sucks, but it's my money. Just more to spend elsewhere!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Jay,

I'd like the entire wolverine set up, the digital angle thingie and we'll talk about what else will fit in a box. I have a good grinder and if stuff gets heavy the shipping will eat someone alive. I'll respond to your pm as soon as supper is over.

Hu

Tool Gloat?

I feel obligated to post the picture of my new shineys after parting with this much hard cash for them. Could have got by without the Wolverine base kit but I figured if I was gonna be a bear . . . .

My homemade bowl grinding jig worked OK other than the frustration of any glue I tried to hold the wood and PVC together with eventually failing, needed that. Bearings shot in my live center, ditto. Beale buffing system will hopefully move my finishing up into the "plum purty" range. Everything else, certainly can use, might not have been musts.

Bought a seventy dollar piece of bowl gouge steel that isn't here yet, Michelsen grind , could hardly put that fancy steel in my homemade jig and fixture. Got a hundred and fifty dollars worth of glue coming too. Don't sniff the stuff when I can help it, may have to learn to eat it!

Hu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolverinepost.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	81451

looks like yur off to the races hu
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks like yur off to the races hu
    Spring is around the corner and I have been tooling up with that in mind. Much greener here this week than last and I have lilies in bloom in the front yard. Of course I had the most ice I ever saw on things here just yesterday, . . . like I said, around the corner!

Hu

I think you're gonna be impressed with not only the sharpening jig, but that Big Bite chuck spur. It'll surprise you when you see it in action. Great for green wood. Get it well-seated in the blank with a dead blow mallet, then mount it between the chuck and your new live center on the lathe. As you mount it onto the chuck, chances are it'll wobble around a bit as you get things squared up. It's not a problem as long as you just make sure the blades are seated in the slots and put moderately firm tailstock pressure on the blank. (And of course, you want the spur to be seated squarely in your chuck.) I've spun some pretty big chunks of wood with mine, and have never had it show any signs of coming loose or spinning into the blank.

And you're gonna love having a buffing setup. It really does take your finishes to the next level. Personally, I don't use carnauba wax because I was never happy with the way it looked for me. Instead, I hand-apply Renaissance wax (a paste wax) to the wood, let it dry, and then buff it out with a clean wheel. But that's just personal preference. A lot of folks get good results with carnauba wax.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com