Thread: A Couple of New Additions to the Bargain Rack

A Couple of New Additions to the Bargain Rack

Those of you who know me know that I've kind of got this thing for cheap guitars. I like taking an inexpensive guitar, making a few adjustments and minor mods if necessary, and turning it into a professional-level instrument. (I used to teach lessons using a Sears guitar, just to prove to the kids that the player is more important than the guitar.) Continuing along that line, here are the latest two additions...

I just got back from a couple of weeks in LA, and brought back this guitar to add to the stable here in Albuquerque. I bought it about 15 years ago, then barely played it. It's a budget-level BC Rich Mockingbird. (Mockingbirds range in price from about $200 to over $1000. I also own a very expensive Mockingbird...the first ever made, probably worth somewhere in the five figure range.) This one literally hadn't been out of the case in at least 10 years. I did replace the cheesy tuning keys last week, and plan to replace the pickups, but for about $100 in new parts, I will have turned a $200 guitar into one that plays like a $500 or $600 one.

And this one just came in Monday. It's an Oscar Schmidt (made by Washburn) semi-copy of a Gibson Les Paul. It's another $200 guitar, and so far, I'n not finding anything to replace, although at some point it'll possibly get an electronics upgrade. I have another Oscar Schmidt (a copy of another Gibson, the ES-335) and it has been a great-playing guitar. It's another $200 guitar that plays and sounds like guitars costing three times the price. Based on my early impressions, I think this new one will be just as good.

Here's a close-up of the curly maple top. It's a thick veneer. The rest of the body is mahogany, and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. It's not high-end curly maple, but it's still pretty flashy for a $200 guitar.

We had a gig Tuesday night, so I had a chance to try both of the new toys out through the PA system.

Here's an action shot with the Mockingbird...

I've decided it does indeed need new pickups, but the Oscar Schmidt sounded real good. I'm very happy with it and will keep it stock, at least for the time being.

And here's a better shot of my latest t-shirt...something my sister found for me. (I have a reputation for wearing t-shirts with warped humor on them.)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So what's the story on the early mocking bird? You know the maker?

I'm still really happy with my Oscar, will pickup their 335 (OE-30) model in a couple of months when things lighten up around the house. Will also need it to play some rock abye baby when the new addition makes it here. I can here him now calling Papa to get that new guitar for him...not sure my wife will buy that but can get my daughter to back me up.

Love the shirt btw!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

"Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Once we settle in, an Oscar in gonna stay at my place! That looks sweet!! With the minor tweeks on my weird dot...the es thing is covered.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

No fair posting pictures of guitars, without posting sound videos of you playing them!!
    "We the People ......"

that mike is right next to your mouth Vaughn, does that mean you sing also?
    Human Test Dummy

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too many guitars, I always say...

It'a amazing what you can do with a basic product and a little tweaking. Nice!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    No fair posting pictures of guitars, without posting sound videos of you playing them!!
    I don't have any videos of me playing either of the new guitars yet. There have been a few poor-quality cell phone vids recorded of the band since I joined, but so far nothing that is worth showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    that mike is right next to your mouth Vaughn, does that mean you sing also?
    I got the mic primarily so I could talk in between the songs. Back in the day,I used to sing quite a bit of backup vocals, and lead on two or three songs, but I was never very good at it. (The technical term is "Sucked out loud".) When I got back into gigging, I vowed not to sing...for the sake of humanity. Jeff and Mike, my two cohorts, are both very good singers, and they occasionally use a harmonizer to add extra harmonies to the vocals. (It's pretty cool hearing two guys singing four part harmony.) That said, I DO add a subtle low bass harmony when we play Seven Bridges Road.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    & a third for the T-shirt
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else