How about this for trimming the end of a board........?

Stuart Ablett

Man, the things you see on auction here..........

big_end_trimmer1.jpg big_end_trimmer2.jpg

Man, would not want to get your fingers too close the the blades on that sucker! :eek:

What the heck would you use it for? :huh:

Must be an application........

Cheers!

PS, yes, I'm stuck in the L shop on a rainy cold night (the customers stay home) bored.............. :rolleyes:

Stu,

Would make a good disk sander if it was solid enough. Take the blades out, slap a sheet of paper on it, or put some leather, you like power strop, right?:type:

It almost looks like a rotary edge (not face) jointer that could also be used to cut mitres. Just guessing ... I've never seen one before, although the blade and face strongly resemble (are almost identical to) the way a branch chipper is built.

cheers

Well, after a little more research, I found another one, different make, even large with three knives :eek: and a miter gauge on it.

enbanhouban3.jpg

it seems it cuts VERY, VERY thin slices off of endgrain.

I'm thinking it is used on mainly soft wood, as that is what a lot of the stuff here in Japan is, kind of like them super surfacers, they are for softwoods.

We searched and searched, but could find no more info on it....:dunno:

Looks like it might be related to a jointer type machine that Delta was selling in the '60's, but on Steroids. The Delta only had one very small cutter on it though if I remember correctly. (I can't even remember what Delta called it).:dunno: I always thought it was for working endgrain though.

Hey Stu, if you got rid of that table and those blades, it ought to make a heck of a bowl turner (with a little "Stuartization" on the Faceplate).:thumb: :rofl: :rofl:

After further Relection,...........Geez, would that thing ever make some kind of a DISC sander.

Last edited:
Norman it was called a uniplane, the cutter head was 6" diameter. It could plane end grain but not very well. The uniplane had infeed and out feed tables like a jointer.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=209

........yep, and the cutterhead was in what would have been the Fence on a jointer.

That's it.:thumb: I recognized the name as soon as I read it. The local dealer here told me that Delta said it was the "Coming Thing", but I heard later that it didn't work nearly as well as Delta's promotional buildup, and then they just kinda faded away from the showrooms.

Ouch! A motorized miter trimmer? Yikes! My hand powered trimmer scares me enough already. Julian calls it my 'mouse guillotine', but it's big enough to use on a texas jackrabbit! Doorlink insists I have the handle removed and stored separately at all times.

I like old tools as much as the next guy, but that one would give me pause... ;)

Thanks,

Bill