Thread: Remodel Project

Remodel Project

I don't really know where to post this - so it is here.

As I go through this project this year - I will try to keep this thread up to date.

I actually did already do some work from a year of three ago - but the major push is on this year.

I expect this project will take be into the early fall - or perhaps even to Christmas (I hope not)

In between I have a significant "other list" of things that will surely interrupt.

Here is the start - before - pictures. Closer details would reveal some stuff that just doesn't show here.

The cabinets are FAR past really really BAD. They were REALLY BAD - 15 years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    In between I have a significant "other list" of things that will surely interrupt.
    I initially read that as "I have a 'significant other' list of things.." and was thinking yeah me to

I gotta say that the orange counter tops really accentuate the plaid floor. I'm betting you'll be real happy to get through this one.

You have a great palate to work from...can't wait to see how it turn's out

Love that stove Leo! Gonna be fun to watch!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I love my wood stove. That is our heat source. Heating season from October to April cost us 2 cords of wood per year - about $400 total for the heating season. That Jotul Oslo 500 Wood Stove is a keeper.

The hearth is also a keeper. I put a lot of work into that about 4-5 years ago. Cement board and 1/4 tile. It is far beyond code. That was a project in itself.

The brick hearth was not properly built and was severely pulling away from the wall, and ready to fall.

I tore it all down and tore out all the stove pipe all the way into the flue in the chimney.

I then proceeded to get super ridiculous into far beyond safe and totally rebuilt the hearth, ans installed a new wood stove. I did not want the wood stove company to do the install, because they were not going to be as ridiculously safe as I wanted.

I figured, if I wanted what was far more than was reasonable - I would need to do it myself.

NOW - I can get a fire going in the stove, ans leave the house unattended - and feel safe.

I posted before - I have been inside a house while it was still on fire, more than once. THAT - never leaves my mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chimney-5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	81362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BustedThru2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	81361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BustedThru.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	81360

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I love my wood stove..........................
    Same here! One in the house, nuther in the shop, can't beat wood heat! Though I can't say I'd feel safe leaving home while they're churning, but, having a set-up like yours would probably settle the ol' nerves enough to venture out for a short run to the hardware store

looking forward to your adventure!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Looks like you have a nice slate to start with, nice and open, most folks have to tear down a bunch of walls to start with. So are you keeping the faux trusses above the kitchen area?

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Same here! One in the house, nuther in the shop, can't beat wood heat! Though I can't say I'd feel safe leaving home while they're churning, but, having a set-up like yours would probably settle the ol' nerves enough to venture out for a short run to the hardware store

looking forward to your adventure!!!
    I load it and I go to work for the day!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Looks like you have a nice slate to start with, nice and open, most folks have to tear down a bunch of walls to start with. So are you keeping the faux trusses above the kitchen area?

The beams in the ceiling are structural - not fake.

I am building covers out of clear pine to make them "look" wider and to lighten the color - and match some of the other wood.