Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Television Cabinet for a Proposal

A Television Cabinet for a Proposal

Here's a little something I've been working on.

This is for a client of one of my clients. I was lazy and left out the hardware. I'm thinking of some sort of low, low profile pulls. Maybe something custom made.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

That's a nice cabinet. What does it look like with the doors closed? Will there be equipment below?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

actually you should change the channel to a more popular one for a easier sale
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Darren, thank you. It looks like this:

My intent is there'd be audio equipment below so I'll put in a box behind one of the drawers for cables to be routed down. I'm thinking of spec-ing one of those infrared repeater setups for remote control.

Larry, the final client is in Breckenridge, CO so I use a photo taken there. I thought about putting up an image for Prairie Dog Week.

I like it, Dave. I think the double-hinged doors are a cool touch.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn.

I figured the double hinged doors were a requirement because the case is more than twice as wide as it is deep. I did another version for the proposal that has bifold doors which slide in on flipper hardware but that takes up an awful lot of internal space.

Re: A Television Cabinet for a Proposal

Well i could jump on the bandwagon and say yeah looks great, but i dont believe that offers any alternative thought. No question as to it being a great drawing and cabinet.
    My question is how fitting is it for current times and technology. Cabinets in my view were "in" when the tv itself was a big ugly crt.
    Today we have great mechanisms and flar panel tv's that can be raised or lowered into a surface.
    I saw one of these in a mobile home and it sure make a cool feature and at same time you would not have known the room had a tv.
    I ask the question how often will the doors on the cabinet actually be closed.
    Now i know its a client and hey they get what they want. So i am only playing devils advocate to discuss design appropriate with the times.

sent from s4
    cheers

Rob, I understand your point. There are a lot of design options I have in mind for things like TV cabinets. Many of them don't get used for my client and his clients. They all seem to tend toward more traditional looking pieces of furniture. I keep trying to push the envelope a little at a time. I figure it's like blowing up a balloon. You can make it bigger if you fill it more slowly.

We have done some lower cases with the TV lift built in. They don't work so well if you need to keep the case fairly shallow and get A/V equipment inside it, too.

I agree with you on closing the doors. In our house they'd be closed most of the time because we turn on the TV once or twice a month. Most folks would probably never close it. I'd just as soon leave the top half of the case off and put the TV on top.

It's too bad that most flat screen TVs are so ugly.

Here's an example of a piece in which I got to play a bit more with the design. The client in this case is a potter who makes sculptural pieces and these large sink basins. He wanted to feature one of his basins in the foyer of his new house. He also wanted a bench for his guests to use when tying their shoes. And he wanted it made from an oak tree that was harvested on his land to make room for the house. I was able to get away from traditional looking pieces such as a vanity and stand alone bench which was the original idea. This worked out pretty well and the client really liked the way it turned out.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-05-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    We have done some lower cases with the TV lift built in. They don't work so well if you need to keep the case fairly shallow and get A/V equipment inside it, too.

I agree with you on closing the doors. In our house they'd be closed most of the time because we turn on the TV once or twice a month. Most folks would probably never close it. I'd just as soon leave the top half of the case off and put the TV on top.

It's too bad that most flat screen TVs are so ugly.
    Excellent points. I'm looking at our current TV stand (bought not made, sigh - she got tired of waiting ) and it would have to be set out a fair bit further into the room to accommodate the TV sliding down behind it. It would also set the TV back quite a bit from the front edge which seems disadvantageous for viewing from the front (or the tv has to protrude somewhat further to achieve the same angle of relief from the front edge of the cabinet).

I'm also not super fond of the "tv in a box" design (I like yours as far as it goes.. but yeah). Not sure what the better design is.. interesting to think about though.

at first light when i saw your vanity shelf dave it didnt strike me as being intersting but after dealing with a few more people looking for things i have found out i cant use my desires or design ideas to make there minds up and i have grown to like your approach on this vanity shelf.. took a few months but i am gettun there now how do you make a square box look purty??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!