Highway Hazmat Horror!

Boy, you could see that one coming just as soon as the tank truck came whizzing by with all that traffic merging from the right. I really need to get one of those dashboard cameras.

I spent a lot of years handling shipments by truck, ship and airplane... I hated to handle hazmats... I spent 5 years with a company that specialized in hazmat shipments, flammable gases, radioactive, and oilfield explosives... I handled two shipments once that was 50,000 lbs each of oil field explosives...

The sight of those tanks exploding and shooting flames high in the air reminded me of a trip I made with my former brother-in-law... he drove a plumbing delivery truck and was making deliveries to a little Oklahoma town... as we approached, we saw smoke from a fire... we drove into the town and saw a tanker truck on fire in a service station... BIL wanted to take a closer look... he parked about a block away and we started walking closer to the station... about have way there the tank exploded and a huge fireball shot into the air... except for being black smoke it looked like an atomic mushroom cloud.... BIL yelled run and started back towards his truck -- I had already passed the truck and was still making tracks when he realized he had to go back for the truck.... bet that was the fastest 1/4 mile I ever did....

Ha!!! One of the disaster models I planned and ran was a methyl bromide tanker in an 80 vehicle pile up in the fog with a school bus and the tanker starts leaking...right up my alley!!

Man, it sure took that Nimrod on the cell phone a long time to decide that standing next to the explosions might not be a good idea. :rolleyes:

what was that big thing that flew up and landed on the power pole, looked like a person but was to big for that? i also thought the guy ran out as soon as it got stopped..