Built in Linen storage - Finished

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
A friend of mine is a general contractor and is doing some remodeling on a home in Boise. After having seen some of my work he asked me if I would be interested in building a cabinet for one of his customers. Does a bear.... well, you know. :rofl:

This big box will fit into a cut out in the central hall of their home, replacing one that was probably installed about 50 years ago.
Here's the hole.
IMG_1215.jpgIMG_1216.jpgIMG_1218.jpg

They wanted drawer storage for bed linens and shelf storage for towels, etc. Here's the plan:
Final - 1 - Built in - Dennis Frank.jpgFinal - 2 - Built in - Dennis Frank.jpgFinal - 3 - Built in - Dennis Frank.jpg

I'm building the carcas out of pre-finished birch ply, 3/4 inch all around, even the back. No fancy joinery, pocket holes everywhere. Face frame is poplar as this will be painted. The panels in the doors and drawers will be MDF. Drawer boxes will be heard maple with plywood bottoms. Ball bearing full extension slides. I purchased the Kreg Klamp Table using up some gift cards I had been saving up. Wow, it really works well assembling face frames. Very pleased.

Here's the work so far.
IMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpgIMG_1234.jpg

This thing weighs a ton - Happy to be making it in three peices - upper, lower, and face frame. I'll be delivering it to the contractors shop for priming and painting. Don't knw yet if I'll be needed for installation. Since the contractor knows what it takes to do something like this he did not even flinch when I gave him my estimate. Nice to have a job that pays well!

Last edited:
Built in Linen storage

how do you like working with prefinished ply rennie?:)

It has it's problems. Not as flat or as many plys as Baltic, but saves a good deal of time and the price is good- about $65 a 4 x 8 sheet. Crappy ply from Home Depot is near $45 these days and it is rarely flat and not as stable as ply should be.

Built in Linen storage

Is it covering up a door or access panel in the wall in back ??

I've been eyeing the Kreg clam table. Thanks for the review :thumb:

Yes! Oddly enough when the old cabinet was removed it revealed a doorway to a cubby about 20 inches deep 30 inches tall and 24 inches wide. Owners have no idea what it was for as it has been covered up since before they bought the home. There was some deliberation as to whether or not I should leave access in the back of the cabinet. Ultimately it was decided not to. I think they may put a time capsule or something back there for some future owner to find.

As for the clamp table. Yes, I am very happy with it so far. Even more so because I was able to get it at half price! I had been given a number of gift cards and won a couple of more with my clock entry. I put the cards plus a storewide sale discount against the purchase of the table. It will serve as the top to my new rollaround cart and outfeed table. I hope to get started on that project in about a week or so.

Built in Linen storage

Sea of maple. Today's project, is to break down and do the initial milling on the maple for the drawer sides. All of this wood will build four drawers.
peqemeqy.jpg

I had one almost identical in my first house. It was an existing cabinet and my wife wanted to re-use it, however it was right where I needed an air return for the new furnace. I ended up taking the bottom drawer out and putting a grill in place of it. Well done on the cabinet, I'm sure you're friend will be pleased. :thumb:

Built in Linen storage

that space you found could house a nice sized safe and out of sight from vandals???

I had suggested that and they thought they might think about it. This is one of the reasons I decided on using three-quarter inch material for the back of the cabinet rather than quarter inch.

I really like the concept here. Our towels, washcloths, sheets go into a hall closet just with shelves. Of course the washcloths like to fall off the shelf every time the door is opened. The drawers would be mighty good for that sort of thing.

Built in Linen storage

Milled all the maple down in three stages today. Have it all down to 5/8 of an inch thick. Tomorrow I will joint the edges and do a lot of glue ups. I need several 10 inch wide boards for the deep drawers. They had some gorgeous 14 inch wide stuff but it is A pain to flatten on my 8 inch jointer.
yhutyhap.jpg