Built in Linen storage - Finished

Built in Linen storage

Have not posted an update lately so I thought I'd stick a picture up and see what happens.

Been working on the drawers the past few days getting those done and ready for installation. I purchased the Kreg alignment tools for installing drawers and slides. Amazing stuff. These drawers work better than any I have ever installed. Could also be that I milled the spacers to it in 5000s of an inch! :). Could also be I was never very good at it either!

I will fit the last two drawers today and then begin milling the lumber for the drawer faces and cabinet doors. Delivery deadline is friday!

ny9e9uze.jpg

Hey just goes to show, i would have been happy with just the draws with those nice joints showing. Now they going to get covered all sophisticated like. :rofl: Whats a customer expect these days. Gee wiz hardwood fronts too.

Built in Linen storage

The Kreg drawer installation tools worked like a charm on the first three drawers. Normally they will clamp to the face frame and position the drawer. However, on the final drawer there was no place to put the clamps! So, I had to do a little modification.
ety6utu4.jpg
2ysa7ahe.jpg

This thing is coming along great. Nice touch of interest on the drawer dovetail pattern. Cool mod on the Kreg drawer holder.

Built in Linen storage

The drawer fronts are complete. Simple but chilling pocket screw construction with 1/2 inch MDF insert. These will mount on the front of the dovetailed boxes with a 1/2 inch overlay on the face frame.
etu9a9es.jpg
7yda8y5e.jpg

Very clever and economical build. First prize in my books all round and by that i mean in costing sense as well. Are you bothering to plug the pocket screw holes or are they hidden by the draws when attached?

Built in Linen storage

All of the pocket hole screws I have drilled so far will be hidden. Have not decided whether or not to put any in the upper cabinet. Customer's coming over tomorrow to see progress and I will ask him what he thinks.

I have never been a fan of stub tenon joinery. I just never felt there was enough glue surface for a strong joint. So, because these doors are rather large, I decided to go with a more traditional haunched tenon.

Unfortunately I did not remember that I do not have a quarter inch mortising chisel. One quick trip out to a local supplier and I found out he didn't have one either. So, back to the shop and drilled out all of the mortises with a quarter inch Forstner bit then cleaned them up with a chisel.

3e7ybu4y.jpg
ahuvaqy6.jpg

Built in Linen storage

Finished! And the customer is very happy! I need to disassemble it for shipment and do a little finish sanding but other than that it is ready to go. Not often I have a project in the shop that requires me to use a ladder!

A nice post script to the story is he is remodeling a couple of bathrooms next month and asked if I would be interested in doing some custom built vanities.

utu3aryv.jpg
uvabyryg.jpg
5ade8ady.jpg