Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day one of the research study is in the books!

Day one of the research study is in the books!

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Day one is in the books. Today was a pretty easy day with just interviews with the doctor, pharmacist, geneticist, and dietitian. Tomorrow shouldn't be too bad. I've got an early appointment with the neurologist and then a neuro psychologist. (whatever that is)

I did get some information today though that has me a bit upset. Some things I didn't realize and I'm still trying to process it and NOT let it bother me. Wednesday is going to be the biggie. I've got some procedures coming up that I wasn't looking forward to already, but it turns out that they're going to be putting me under with a general anesthetic. That will make the time go quickly, but I hate going under. Every time I've been put under, I've had a hard time coming out of it. I end up having to spend 10-15 minutes having to actually THINK about breathing! It's a scary thing when my pulse-ox starts beeping and someone has to keep on telling me to take deep breaths and concentrate on breathing. It's happened four times already and it's scary.

There is another issue that I had no idea about but was told today. One of the tests they will be doing while I'm out is to check the pressure in my cranial cavity. The doctor said it isn't likely, but there's a chance that I may have to see a neurosurgeon for surgery up there if the result isn't good. As if I don't have enough on my plate, neurosurgery is the LAST thing I want to think about right now!

Something else they dropped on me today. I was told that I'm probably going to have to make some pretty difficult lifestyle changes. It looks like I'm going to have to go on a Ketogenic diet. (almost NO carbs) This is due to some medications they want to put me on. Carbs in the body react badly and cause bad side effects and the drugs won't work. One of the drugs is going to cost in the neighborhood of $25K a month!!! I don't think BCBS is going to pop for that but they're checking.

So anyway, today wasn't too bad and tomorrow should be OK. But I'm not looking forward to Wednesday.

Thank you again and I'll keep you all updated.
    Last edited by John Pollman; 03-04-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John, will keep you in my prayers. Remember, you are there for answers. Sounds like they are being quite thorough and that is what you wanted correct? I know, invasive and embarrassing and scary procedures are in store, but, they might find the key and it might not be THE scariest answer. Keep your head clear, be thankful for them looking in each nook and cranny and checking things off. Stay strong and I pray good things happen for you.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Despite everything else going on, I hope you have a Happy Birthday
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

John,

The only thing I can think of to say to you under these conditions is to say that I am thinking of you and wishing you the VERY BEST!

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Thumbs up. Keep your head on a swivel, do the right thing. That's a great place to be and I believe they are the right people to help.

Best of luck!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wishing you the best, John. Better to do than not do. And I'm looking forward to your new FB recipes. Take care

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

make sure they plug the hole when there done looking inside to see what makes you tick, we dont want you to loose time ,,remember we have to set our clocks back this wknd best of luck headed your way john.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Uhhhhhhmmm, Larry, don't we set our clocks AHEAD?????? I thought it was spring forward, fall back.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

John, You're in one of the best places to get answers. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault