Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Amp(s) and Effects

New Amp(s) and Effects

I just picked this up at the Post Office at lunch. To those who don't recognize what it is, it's a box that makes my electric guitars sound like they're being played through an amplifier and various effects pedals. I bought it on eBay last week as an upgrade to the POD XT Live unit I've been using. The technology inside XT Live is 7 or 8 years old, whereas the tech in this HD500 is only a year or two old. They now sell the HD500x, which has more digital signal processing capabilities, but this one is several nice steps up from what I've been using.

Within this simple box are something like 22 popular vintage and modern amplifiers, about the same number of speaker/cabinet combos, 120 or so different effects, a 48 second looper, and a tuner. And it can store 512 different combinations of everything as separate, recallable configurations (or 'patches'). My challenge for the week will be recreating the patches I've saved on my older unit and getting things to sound right on the new one before our gig Friday night. This should be fun.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So how does the programming for that work? Do you just download their tones (found them on the http://line6.com website..) or can you easily program your own or mod the pre-existing ones?

Does it always flash 12:00 in the little window like all my electronic things??

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    So how does the programming for that work? Do you just download their tones (found them on the http://line6.com website..) or can you easily program your own or mod the pre-existing ones?
    Yes to all of the above. You can download tones others have come up with, tweak them at will, or create your own from scratch. And although you can edit all the settings on the unit itself, it's much easier and faster to plug it into a computer and do all the tweaking via the free editing software that Line 6 has made available.

For me, the first challenge is going to be re-creating the tones I like on my older POD and programming them into the new one. This evening after work I'll get to find out how easy or hard that's going to be. Actually, for about 80% of what we play, I use just one amp model - a Fender Deluxe Reverb - with pretty basic effects. The other 20% are patches that I use for parts of specific songs, and those will likely be a bit trickier to re-create.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Does it always flash 12:00 in the little window like all my electronic things??
    No, this one just goes to 11.

workingwoods.com

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I don't know guys, looks like it could be a transmitter capable of reaching his home-base on Mars

Looks like some foot stompin' good times.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

If I can ever fix my G string...that would be cool!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    If I can ever fix my G string...that would be cool!
    I'll give you the same advice I gave to my friend Teresa who was having problems with her bass guitar...

And BTW, I was able to solve the problem. I discovered that her G string had slipped off the nut. True story.

Get your mind out of the gutter!

workingwoods.com

Sweet! Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Re: New Amp(s) and Effects

Vaughn would a box like this allow you to program all the sounds and effects for a song like Pink Floyds ...Money? Just trying to get a grasp that one can relate to. How would they have done all those effects back in the 70's ? All recorded in a studio? From actual devices ? Always been a wonder to me.

sent from s4
    cheers