Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting plywood, good face up or down?

Cutting plywood, good face up or down?

I'm gonna be cutting some plywood soon and from google I got different answers as to putting the good side up or down when cutting it. I'll be cross cutting it with a skil saw and then ripping on the table saw.

What do you all do? Good side up or down?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

jeff you want to cut it good side down with a skill saw in my book unless you have a zero insert type skill saw like the festool, the ripping on the table saw would be good side up.. you want the teeth pulling the fibers into the wood for best cut side not pulling the out.. but you could use a table saw for the crosscutting as well with help of another person
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I agree with Larry. I also put tape on the where the cut will be. I find it helps with tear out, although I have had some disagree with me on that. It works for me. Plus, the sharpest, best blade I have. There are also those that will promote using only rip and cross-cut blades, I can't afford all those blades so I use my best combo blade.
    "We the People ......"

Thanks Larry That's what I thought but read some conflicting things last night while googling. Thought about doing the crosscutting on the TS, but not sure when I'd have help to do it and I'd have to move a bunch of stuff to make room too. I made a "track" for the crosscuts out of some hardboard and ply to hopefully get some good straight cuts.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks Paul, I have a brand new 40 tooth blade for the skil saw and a good 40 tooth in the TS so I'm hoping both will do well. I think I'll give it a go without tape and if there is some tear out, try some tape.
    My Website

Another thing you can do is use the tape & then with a straight edge clamped to the sheet pre-score the cut line with a sharp utility knife.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart, thanks for that as well.
    My Website

Tape works well, but be careful removing it. It can tear fibers out, defeating the purpose.

Yep Bob I saw that you should pull the tape towards where the cut edge and down when removing it so you don't pull the veneer fibers up from the inner play parts.
    My Website

Good side down with the skilsaw. Up with tablesaws!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln