a bit of help please

Since this thread has branched off into a discussion about wine coolers...

When I was hanging pictures for the rich and famous in LA, one house we worked in had a very nice wine room. The temperature-controlled walk-in 'cellar' was a glassed-in end of the room, probably about 9' x 12' in size. Through the class, the racks and cabinets looked like they were solid walnut, but I'm not sure of the species or finish (if there was any). What really caught my attention was the rest of the wine room. Nicely furnished with beautiful cabinet work (again, it looked like walnut), and it had a leather floor. It was very comfy to walk on. Needless to say, we worked in our stocking feet in that room. :)

when i spoke to a manufacturer of wine cellars and such about this, they said the choice of species has to do with rot resistance. wouldn't look too good if the rack that's holding your bottle is a bit on the moldy side.

Wouldn't it be an interesting touch to find an old small electric keyboard at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks, pull the black and white keys off and set them into the side vs. painted on.

Would the client pay for it? Artsy wine type, with love of pianos? Maybe a nice upcharge if you could sell them on it? Such as "oh what a unique wine rack you will have, a true one of a kind".

Plus it might actuly be less work than taping and shooting the keys.

:)

my clients are people I make things for out of love for them or because I admire them as friends.
This client isn't paying, so Im trying to stay close in using whatever I have in stock, or spending as little as possible.

Im don't know why I get myself involved in these small projects that take so much time.011.jpg

Not having much hard maple or poplar, this will be a combo of both, and I had to use a bit of yellow pine to make the front pieces that hold the bottles.100_1681.jpg
My drill press just doesn't have enough umph to turn the big bit. Could not get it to go through poplar, just made it through pine with some struggling.
used 2 templates(the mdf under the parts)100_1683.jpg to make all curves as identical as I can, then used that template to make a wall template, and will use again to make the piano keys template.
Im waiting on a router bit to start keys.
In case the keys don't have the identical, and I mean 100% identical curve in the back as the units side pieces, I rabbeted out 1/8 of an inch so I can tuck them under and any tiny offs spots wont show.100_1682.jpg
The keys will be made from what I have, which might have to be ambrosia maple.
While using the template with both doors taped together, it ripped out a piece of one of the front walls100_1684.jpg.
I glued it back, its a tiny bit off the curve in front, but once painted, no one will notice. Not worth remaking a wall, besides, I don't have any hard maple left unless I use my 8/4 and start resawing, and resawing maple is not a fav of mine.
without all the shelves, heres what it will look like(no keys yet)
I like straight things. Curves is too much work

everything needs to be sanded to get off burn marks and other imperfections.

Attachments

• 100_1685.jpg
    100_1685.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1686.jpg
    100_1686.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Coming along nicely, Allen. :thumb: And yeppers, curves are trickier than straight lines, but I like the finished results. ;)

I purchased a 2 sided router bit, 30 degree angle and 60 degree angle to cut grooves.
I used the festool 1400 router with the tracks to line up and cut lines to simulate piano keys. I used some leftover ambrosia maple I had, a big mistake, now I have to fill in a few holes before I paint.
that's where I got too, I haven't been vertical much since sunday the 16th, today was actually the first day I was in the shop, had to move everything to put my car in there.(storm is brewing)
Havent done anything the past week and a half on unit, not like me, but my back is relentless. Feels a bit better today, but Im headed back to boob tube for a few days, laying on couch, nothing else.
woodworking show in Saratoga this weekend, I need back in ok shape to do the 5 hour drive.
Figured by now Id have some nice progress pics to show. Havent been posting much work here over the winter.