Question about bill of material !!!

Ninh Shepherd

First off sorry haven't posted in a while been back up with all kinda of crazy stuff
And if I manage to end up helping my friend build this project then I will be backed up again
Q;
what does a bill of materials consist of (besides the obvious materials) serious inquiry.

Q;
And how do you figure up a bill of materials ?

Q;
And does anyone know anything about building these little miniature style barn looking storage units? It's 12'x20'. I believe the real Amish community actually makes some of these correctly but they make the size of the unit to size material so they have little to no waste was
And does anyone happen to have plans on anything like that would be greatly appreciate
Q;
Is the angle for the rafters 22.5?

A friend of mine wants to build a storage build about medium size and asked me to help.
Do to the price that these pre made rip off Amish like storage bushings (4000$)
y5yny9yt.jpg

I didn't think to get a picture of the outside but it basically looks like a small barn.
epygedaq.jpg

Thanks guys !

~Ninja~

As far as I know a bill of materials is a complete list of every nut,bolt, nail , screw,hardware, pieces of plywood, dimensional lumber, gang nail, shingle, siding, footing, etc that the job will require. It is used in where a number of an item will be built.

ninh, take the dimensions of the building your friend wants and go to your local lumber yard and have them work up a price for you on the materials they do it every day so it shouldnt cost you anything for it. then figure your time.

Bill of Materials - can just as easily be translated as --- LIST of materials. That is all it is - a list of ALL the materials.

On those sheds.

There is a hundred ways to figure it out - not a single way is wrong - or right

Those sheds maybe - or maybe not - include ---- Roof shingles, floor - supports under the floor to get it up off the ground.

They DO help the Do It Yourselfer if you have never built anything.

I helped my friend put one up. It's a one day job - weekend project if you like to stretch it out.

NOW - yes they DO cost a little more than the material cost. Many parts are precut, and of course there is a profit built in. Why would you NOT expect that. Profit is only fair.

IF --- you don't like the construction and you want to design and build to your own specifications - you MUST expect a significantly HIGHER price tag. I know this because I did this.

Those kits are not great - but they are also "fair" for an outside shed on the cheap.

YOU - need to decide what you like and dislike.

My friend put one up --- er - I wanna say - 8-9 years ago?? Still looks good and he uses it.

One thing you gotta figure on something like that shed is if you buy all the materials piece by piece you'll end up with a fair bit more waste that the factory setup does; especially if you haven't done one before. It can definitely be cheaper to build your own, but its worth while sitting down and figuring all the cuts ... and then the probability that you'll mess up at least some of them (well I would anyway :D) and then how it works out based on that.

I've built a couple three of them and will build another soon. Price comes close to the prefab but I have more features, like a skylight and some windows. Also remember the floor is not included in those prices and things like windows are extra as well. The dirt cheap ones also are not painted. Basically you are trading your labor for their profit. By my numbers you are working darned cheap. They have the advantage of production and all the right equipment. I'll build mine because I want good construction and some features I am unwilling to pay them for. And I bought windows and doors from the ReStore store. Saved BIG bucks. More than enough to add lights and outlets. I should get so lucky again.

So pay your money and take your chances.

Well I've seen the kits but I don't know exactly where to look when it comes to the kits ? 12x20? Like Larry said should I just got to my local lumber yard tell them I want a 12x20 gambrel 8ft high ceilings with a loft above it ? And they'll cut it ? I can do that no problem but the price I was referring to originally is the price if a ready made shed. That they haul to your house level and dump and go.. About 4500$-5000$ these ppl want. Is it really going to cost me that much justin materials ?

And Leo do you really think it can be done in one weekend ? With a prefab kit , and If it's me and the friend with the appropriate tools? I would like it to be done fast but the same time I want it done right !

Also any suggestions to any links of places that sell these prefab kits for a 12x20 gambrel shed ? Everywhere I looked so far was a dead end!

One more age old question here guys and I'm sure this is some where on the forum I just haven't ran across it yet but.

How much should I charge this friend ? All the tools used ate mine I probably won't charge up for material as this was his idea.
And as far as charging for my service son a job I never know what to charge so the majority of the time I do most of my work for free. But the misses won't allow me to do a big project like this for free. Because it's time I cold he at home fixing things or working on other projects.
Plus I ah ways feel so guilty charging a friend ( which is most if who my projects are for )
And should I charge more if I can get it fine in one weekend ?

I'm glad I'm on this forum because I ALMOST just bought plans for this but me Keeble advised before buying ANYTHING Jump on the durum and ask around!!

Thanks Rob! Ha 😁👍👌

~Ninja~

as for charging to do it, you need to do what you feel right with and your friend agrees to. as for time span to assemble one of these, if you stay busy you can do it in a wknd without any trouble if you have had a hammer and saw in your hand much at all. you said the lumber company will cut it for you ??/ not the case you need to cut all parts. they will just make up a materila list and cost that oout for you.. and like carol mentioned that wont include a floor, also you need to look at the city or township codes aas to what you can build and where before starting..

Well Ninh a good few years back i looked into building my own workshop (just a bigger shed) then i got someone to do it for me, i was still new to the technology used to build with wood in these parts.

BUt what i remember at the time is Home Depot has a section in the store, here its near the pro desk. They have a computer with designs and ability to change the design and there is a person you can go sit with they will use the system to draw what you want and price it out with the materials they supply.

Their output prints you a full bill of materials and cut lists even down to nails and hinges etc.

You can then choose to the direction you want to go in.

They do this for decks as well. All the lumber that is used is of the sort that they stock and supply so the price comes out without labor but all the raw material.

You can compare that to the kits.

What i have noticed is that the kits dont always use 2x4 some use smaller dimensioned lumber.

Carol made a point which i think you should explore, go to your local Habitat for Humanity Restore It Store, check out what they have that could be repurposed for a shed. You never know what can be found there.

How long it takes you will depend on what tools you have available to be on site with. On a job like this a chop saw would be very valuable, some would say you can get away with a circular saw and yeah its true but i would have circular saw and chop saw.

I built a lean to shed on the side of the house many years back for my garden equipment and bicycle storage for kids bikes. Used pressure treated lumber on the base, used deck blocks to lay the pressure treated in to make a matrix for a floor using construction grade 3/4 ply and then built the structure on top. Took me more than one weekend but for some pros here that have been in construction game they could easily knock it out in a weekend.

You may want to check into local building codes too. Around our parts anything up to 100 sq ft one can put in the yard with no plans. Go over that and you have to have plans. So get your friend to check first.

Here is a Canadian supplier i used for my past workshop at my previous residence. http://www.shedman.ca/

he site is loaded with ideas and you can get an idea if costings we have to live with as a benchmark. http://www.shedman.ca/Studio___Workshops.php

click on the link on that page it will give you pricing showing how they do it.

hey rob, if i understand it right on a 192 sq ft floor concrete they get $2638.00, around here that would be $750.00 they are hosing you folks with those prices..

Welcome to Canada Larry but me thinks you got errors in your calculations.
Describe what you include in your $750. I dont think we talking apples to apples.
In this case they come clear site, put up forms, order in concrete and i think for a slab that only 192 sqft (12ft x16ft) there will be premium on the premix.
They are operating in GTA.
They dont lack for work.
Try find a guy to throw a small slab like 192sqft around here and you wont get too many showing up.

By my calculations not including the 12 inches of stone base they put down and the 12" x 12" trench footing, there are at least 160 bags of sakrete in the 5 inch thick slab excl footings. At our price at home depot of $4.19 CDN $ that makes the concrete cost $670.40 on its own with no mixing labor etc.
So i think your $750 has some errors unless you just refering to the cost of concrete.
My 160 bags comes off Sakrete site calculator and 5" inch thick slab 16 x 12 size surface area.
For the stone my guess is 22 cubic yards non delivered around here 3/4 crush is $35.50 per yard so there is another $781 and so it goes. Add delivery ,labor ,forms and profit and overhead and it starts to look cheap in my opinion at $2638 ...

sent from s4

around my parts crete runs 100 dollars a yrd delivered but small amounts get a up charge. which with the footings we might be at a 1000.. but we arent where you are and i am just figuring the ditch work no stone needed and crete finished.

A 5" slab for a shed/shop? that's overkill, IMO, especially on a 12" base of crushed rock. Are you guys building on peat or what? :)

A 4" x 12' x 16' slab with a 12" x 12" continuous footing around the perimeter is about 4.5 cubic yards, so with Larry's prices, that's a bit shy of $500, plus any upcharge for a short load.

A 5" slab for a shed/shop? that's overkill, IMO, especially on a 12" base of crushed rock. Are you guys building on peat or what? :)

A 4" x 12' x 16' slab with a 12" x 12" continuous footing around the perimeter is about 4.5 cubic yards, so with Larry's prices, that's a bit shy of $500, plus any upcharge for a short load.
That's overkill for a guy that lives where the ground never freezes.:thumb::rofl::rofl: And yes my creet company supplys and finishes for $100.00 a yard Laying down or standing up don't matter. They up charge for under 3 yard orders and if you stick to many corners in the foundation wall they charge extra for each one over 4.

So for Robs slab my guess is about $500 or $600 for the creet and the rest was sight work.
Vaughn aint you ever heard when in doubt build it stout:thumb::thumb:

Now back to this shed.
2x8x12 floor joist 16
2x8x10 rim joist 4
3/4 4x8 advantech ply 8
2x4x8 wall studs 50
2x4x12 plates 6
2x4x10 plates 12
2x6x12 collar ties 8
12 4x9 t111 18
2x8x14 rafters 16 cut in half for 32 7'
2x12x12 ridge 2 (added at 7:36)
Simpson H1 hurricane clips 32
5/8" advantech 8 roof sheathing
3 sq roofing
3sq roof guard underlayment
1x4x12 2 trim
1x4x14 2 trim
1x4x10 8 corner trim
1x4x8 6 door trim
2x8x8 3 door header
drip edge 8
box galve 16p 1
box galve 8p 1
box galve 1.5" hanger nails 1

Last edited:
Adn I bet you wouldn't cut the angle backwards on one end of half of the rafters either (not that I've done that... lately... since I haven't built a shed in a while).

You haven't run a saw until you cut one backwards:thumb::thumb:
Oh and no Rob I would not get out a chop saw to build this shed. I got a speed square and a skil saw don't need to take up room with a chop saw aw well:thumb:

Lol Chuck i am delighted that you chimed in. Ninh ..Chucks one of the guys thats a real pro so you now have your bom.

Chuck you know your stuff and thats why i aint doing what you do for a living. :)

Ninh if you got more questions ask while Chuck is chiming in and Larry can show you how if you have the material when he is down that way. :)

sent from s4

Haha well sorry guys I wasn't able to chime in in time probably I try constantly I really do but with the misses always in my case and chasing Wild-Thang around (my 2 year old daughter) I ca barley get it out of my pocket before I'm someone's yelling my name. Haha
But I feel honored to have you chime in chuck nice to meet you sir and thanks for the pro list on the material my dad was the same way could have wrote everything down on a used napkin in 15-20 mins and would have told you to pick up his Estwing (the big one 32oz. ) skills aw from the house and everything on that list. And of course his toolbelt lol
He really could do some crazy beautiful things with wood and a guitar as well
Ah nostalgia. :)
Thanks for the list and is that list good enough for a 12x20 gambrel style ? Shed ? And I'll will probly put it up on blocks solid to level it
Construct the base frame flooring then side frames then apply ply to sides and cut out holes for windows and main door then truss' then truss supports roof panels felt and then metal for the tin roof !
Are my stepsof or Gould I do something before a diff item I'm not saying that list is set I stone that's just what I would process In my mind to do to be productive without complicating things ! Again thanks for all this help guys
I promise one of these days I'll be able to help someone lol CNC programming and machines I got you !!! Lol until then I'll just have to build my knowledge bank this way haha

~Ninja~