Got to say something.....

Now that life seems to be getting a bit more crazy, family care and thoughtfulness come to the forefront of my life. In all aspects of life not just personal but the places we visit , with the people we know or I know , I don't want to lump anyone into my rants, but but even on forums where we have a good family cohesion of unity. So why, do people come in here with out introducing themselves , do not let PM be on their profile so you can chat a bit with them and want to know everything you know, that will take a lot of time to sit down and answer every question.
Sorry I'm just not down with much lack of respect for all of us who have made this place so nice to gather.

Last edited:
well dave, not everyone is like the majority of folks here, some are secretive of there where abouts or there personal life, we can suggest changes but nothing says they will, and if we choose to help if we can fine and if we choose not to well that is our choice as well and those that dont seem to give back either in thanks or other means are the ones that are loosing not the givers like you and others:)

Everyone is different. Some more out going than others. Some are very private. I really don't think they mean any disrespect by it.

Well if we are in a ranting mood, the one I use to want to rant about is the few that come here just to show their work, but never contribute to any of the other discussions. Then one day I got to thinking, even though that is their way, I still benefit from it. I love to see their work and they usually do answer questions about what they are showing. So, now I am happy to see them post.

Doug I understand what your saying. If it were any of you asking a lot of questions I would jump right in ifI could help. One thing , because I know you appreciate it and would do the same. I've been burnt to many times helping others with out even a thank you. A ( THANK YOU ) sometimes is all it takes.

Yes there are a lot of people who enjoy reading the posts here and do not do any posting themselves. Maybe they have nothing to post about. Also the projects are so well done I would hate to compare what I accomplish. The fact is I have as of yet not mastered the photo inclusion for posting as noted by no aviatar. All in all I love this forum and visit daily just to see whats up. I must say this is the most gregarious bunch I have been associated with on the internet.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS

I hear what you're saying Dave.

Maybe some folks just don't understand the protocols here or are intimidated because we are such a tight knit bunch of woodworkers. :dunno:

I really enjoy seeing new folks show up and participate but I'm a bit bewildered why so many take the time to post once then never return. But I do have to admit that I've done the same. I've logged onto 1 or 2 other woodworking sites over the years in order to get a specific question answered and have never gone back again.

I have been in opposition with Big Brother since way before the internet was a household word :). I'm no hermit, there are just some times that you have to wonder why someone needs to know certain things in order to give you a quote on energy efficient windows or some other idle thing. Even so, I feel very comfortable in public or private discussions with the folks here. I do not discuss a lot of things about me and my life in any form online as there is a large nefarious element that crawls the web just looking for things (and you'd be surprised what they can be) to exploit. My best defense is that my life is inherently boring :D.

Here's a fun example that is not the least bit paranoid if you work in the field I do; I announce online that I've had my first grandchild (trigger - a search into public records), I also let it slip that me and the missus are going to hop in the RV and toodle over a state or two to visit the bundle of joy (trigger - guess who's not going to be home for a few days?). Or this one - I have a Harvest Festival bumper sticker on my car (trigger - guess where I am likely to be the next time the Harvest Festival comes to town?) -or- I have an NRA sticker or a rifle rack in/on my car (trigger - guess who probably has some guns to steal in their home and is probably gone to the local gun show right now?). Cry paranoia if you will but these are valid intelligence offerings that evil-doers use to assure their success. Talk to your local police, they'll back me up :thumb:

As Larry points out, not everyone is as similar to the lion's share of active members here as we are. Have you ever stopped back in at one of those forums you use to tolerate. I dropped into one the other day and it has completely degenerated; foul language, personal attacks and all that garbage. I prefer my family :wave:.

Last edited:
To add some more insight as to why some dont post as we might think necessary, here is a true story and it dealt with a prominent member here, they were in the middle of a divorce and the prosecutor for the lady had pictures and screen shots of posts here with me in them, and was using those against the guy in the custody battle. so they left and have not come back,, so as glenn says, there are those out there that dont play by the rules as we think just.. so we need to be a little compliant, as i grow older the things seem to be getting grayer than i would like, including my hair

First off Dave, THANK YOU. Thank you for being you. Thank you for sharing all of your artistic talents with us. I am not being condescending in the least nor sarcastic here. If I created this rant I want to clear the air before next week.
I would imagine we are our own worst enemies for gathering in new members that are shy. Read a few threads, we know each other on some weird level. Hope things with your dad are going well and Shelly and the boys are well. Be good my friend.

I maybe see it from another perspective.

I grew up in a family with some SERIOUS personality issues.
In todays world of enlightenment - my father would have been in jail, for various reasons.
My Mom not far behind.
I think Child proctective services would have broken up the family.
My younger sister died at 53 due to the way her life went.

My family still suffers from the effects of "family issues" of the late 50's - through the 60's and near all of the 70's

I was a VERY VERY introverted individual. There would have been no way to get me involved.
If I would have been approached I would have "literally" cryed - KNOWING there was something wrong with me - and I would have left permanently.

I consider myself to be of the FEW that found a way out.
I went to high school then to college and ended up with a B.S. in engineering.
( At first I was totally accepting the fact that I was going to fail)
The education helped a GREAT deal. I know we should not talk religion - but that was also a HUGE part.

Ohhhh - I can see someone, like - ME - on the outside - looking in - wishing I could understand how to be in a nice friendly group - but being certain that I really do not fit in.
I still have those feelings.

I posted this a few weeks ago.
Really it is not the forum - it is the personality of the individual.

If I was back as I was and I read a post about lurkers - it would hurt me and I would just back away.

Then - my spouse has a serious psychological ailment that has changed our lives.
Learning to deal with that has been a life changing learning experience.

Today - through nearly 40 years of learning I can be in public and - sometimes - sorta feel good - sometimes.
Mostly - inside I still tremble.

Even as I write this - I wonder if maybe I should NOT post is - because I will get repercussions from it.
Sometimes I don't post - even after I wrote it up.

For someone that is suffering with introversion - just stating your name is a terrifying feat - never mind participating in a conversation.

To anyone that is reading, and lurking --- PLEASE - feel comfortable, you do NOT need to fill out any forms - you do NOT need to participate in conversation - you do NOT need to interact, you do NOT need to reveal anything about yourself. Please fell free to watch, have a soda or coffee. Be Comfortable.

Dave - I can understand how you feel, but please be understanding that not all people have a strong enough personality to be able to participate. Lets try to be supportive of those in that situation. Most of them don't want to be there - but don't know how to get out. They are easily intimidated, not because they are feeble - but maybe because of what life has dealt them.

Psychology is a little understood thing - but an all encompassing feature of our makeup.

Sorry about this little rant - it is just how I am wired.

Leo, you raise some good points. Thanks for posting them. ;) Any repercussions you may get will very likely be positive ones. :thumb

Leo, I understand a little of what you feel. I am also very introverted. Not nearly to the extent you describe but I am. I have no close friends I do things with and rarely socialize, (ask my wife, she is the opposite, she has never met a stranger). This forum is my social life. I don't know why I am what I am, I don't even worry about it any more. We are very glad to have you here, and I'm really excited for you to get the remodeling done and get the CNC info flowing here! :)

Leo i too understand you greatly. I was such an introvert for many years but then having to run my own business I had to come out of my comfort zone. Doing art shows I found I really like them. Mostly because sharing my work is something I never thought I would like to do but I'm finding fun in it. But I still like to ride mostly by myself and hunt by myself. I will get out and do things with others but I need to know them 1st.

this board has too many different personalities to expect everyone to be on equal terms as far as contributing, extracting, etc.
The variety of posters/lurkers here is what makes up the boards personality.
Everyone has their own comfort level as to how much they are willing to share on the internet.
Someone told me recently, don't take it so seriously. He made a good simple point.
And as far as people feeling intimidated, eh, no one should ever feel like that, because this group UNDERSTANDS more than anyone else, that everyone has to learn to walk before they can run.We have all been there.(Im still trying to crawl out)
And Im thankful, as Im sure others are here, that people who forgot more about woodworking then Ill ever learn, are willing to share things.
Its all good.

Lets not forget the lurkers, I hid in the shadows here for quite some time before actually joining in...now look at me, you can't get me to shut up... comfort comes in at all different levels. Some may be testing the waters before diving in, and others are probably just 'drive by's' dropping their questions on a ton of related sites looking for short-cuts.... I say play nice with everyone until they give you a reason not to, doesn't cost a thing but a moment or three, which often is enough time to define/start a friendship as well :thumb:

Leo,
That was a good write-up. You sure set my mind to working and wondering if I offended anyone.

I have lectured many times across this wonderful nation of ours. I have lectured on practice management to ophthalmologists, optometrists and dentists. There is a lot of pure bull put out by many of the management gurus. Therefore, I always invited anyone in the audience to visit my office for a day or two, they could ask any question, sit in with patients, get into the books or whatever. I really enjoy helping people. I wanted them to know I was not feeding them false information to agrandize myself.

Because I am not a private person, I had not even thought of many of the things you mentioned. (However, identity theft and similar has finally forced me into being somewhat secret.)

Thanks for what you wrote!

Enjoy,
JimB

Howard,

I have been a member for longer than i can recall, which included some previous forums (' the Oak etc,)

1) I love woodworking but i am not actively engaged, so my level of contribution is in my opinion will be limited.

2)I live in Jamaica which is somewhat removed from the cut & thrust of you guys in the US & Canada.

With that said i tremendously enjoy the banter and good vibes that emanates from this forum
and will always come for my ''Daily Fix'':thumb:

Always the lurker

Allen, i was in Kingston NY During Jan this year & i actually thought of you as my son was doing some construction work in L Island Maybe in the summer when i come up again ill call

Howard