T-shaped knob

Closer? I only cut off one side of the turning this time.

t-tote3.jpg

I had a thought while I was drawing this. Supoose the cylindrical stem was a separate piece. It and the handle could be rotated independently to suit the user.

t-tote2.jpg

Like this?

Yeah, Dave, that's getting there. I would probably slice a little less off on the front side,(where the heel of the hand would fit) in order to round it out with the file giving a thicker part in the middle and thinner towards the ends of the "T" to fit into the natural curve of the palm/heel of the hand.

When I get the old planes finished I'm reworking, I may have to drag out the old HF lathe and try one of these. If fitted properly, they would probably be more comfortable than the normal knob.

I'm thinking that a good way to fit one of these to the individual's hand would be to make a "T" out of two dowels and then wrap the top with some childs clay/playdough or something and then grip it as you would in use and then use that profile, (minus the ridges between the fingers) to file and sand a turning to final shape.

Last edited:
I made a couple of T shaped knobs for my Stanley planes. The pictures aren't the best and I sold the planes so I can't take any more pictures. The second picture shows some planes from above and you can see the general shape of the knobs a bit better.

Attachments

• Stanley plane.jpg
    Stanley plane.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 25
  • Mike's tool box project 008b.jpg
    Mike's tool box project 008b.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 23
Tote Question for Mike

I made a couple of T shaped knobs for my Stanley planes. The pictures aren't the best and I sold the planes so I can't take any more pictures. The second picture shows some planes from above and you can see the general shape of the knobs a bit better.

Mike, did you make that Tote, too? That sure is a beauty, what is the wood? If you made it, how about a picture "Tutorial" when you make another one of those Totes.:D

Mike, did you make that Tote, too? That sure is a beauty, what is the wood? If you made it, how about a picture "Tutorial" when you make another one of those Totes.:D
Norman - I made two of those knobs and totes, one for my #5 in cherry and one for my #7 in walnut. The rough shape is created on the bandsaw and then it's all done with rasps - sort of like sculpture. You think of what you want and then remove all the wood except what meets your vision. Of course, the overall height and general shape are taken from the original tote. Once I had a rough shape, I traced my fingers on the rough blank to get the locations for the finger grooves. One problem is that it's only for a right handed person - wouldn't work at all for a lefty - but I was making it for me, not the general population.

I decided I didn't like the handle on the #7 and sold it to a guy at school. Then, I sold the #5 and the #7 to someone just recently through an ad on SawMill Creek (advertised only the #7 but he bought both). I just never used those two planes.

For the knob --->The general shape of the knob is created on the bandsaw and then the bottom of the knob is turned to shape on the lathe. The top is worked with rasps to the shape you like. The concept was really my wife's. I was going to make the top like a big dowel mounted to the bottom (sort of like a "T") but she visualized the top "like an egg" (her words) and I took it from there. Note that it fits a "high knob" plane - it might look squat if it was only as high as a low knob.

Mike

Norman - I made two of those knobs and totes, one for my #5 in cherry and one for my #7 in walnut.

The rough shape is created on the bandsaw and then it's all done with rasps - sort of like sculpture. "You think of what you want and then remove all the wood except what meets your vision".

Mike

Oops, I think that "Sculpture Reference" might have "Culled" me out of the pack, 'cause it would probably end up like my attempt to carve a Bird. By the time I finished removing everything that didn't look like a bird, I guess it must have flown away, 'cause there was NO bird left.:huh: :dunno: :D

Thanks for the procedure though.

Oops, I think that "Sculpture Reference" might have "Culled" me out of the pack, 'cause it would probably end up like my attempt to carve a Bird. By the time I finished removing everything that didn't look like a bird, I guess it must have flown away, 'cause there was NO bird left.:huh: :dunno: :D

Thanks for the procedure though.

Norman, I don't think you should give up on the idea. The knob is a lot less "sculpting" than a bird. Besides it is a small scrap scrap of wood. Give it a try and, who knows, one day you might find that bird again!

Norman, I don't think you should give up on the idea. The knob is a lot less "sculpting" than a bird. Besides it is a small scrap scrap of wood. Give it a try and, who knows, one day you might find that bird again!
I agree. It's much less complex than a bird. You can think of the shape at the top of the knob as two bottom ends of an egg back-to-back. You can tell people that you know what came first for your skill development - the bird or the egg.

Mike

I agree. It's much less complex than a bird. You can think of the shape at the top of the knob as two bottom ends of an egg back-to-back. You can tell people that you know what came first for your skill development - the bird or the egg.

Mike

Good Idea!:thumb: (That would sure have some of my Friends Guessing):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think I could manage the "T" handle, it's those finger grips on the "Tote" that I can really Imagine my lack of skill on.

Yeah, and Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists don't help much either.:(

My "Medicare ready" days are years behind me. I'll be at my Biblical allotment in a few months.
Fortunately, my health is good and I'm grateful for that.
I understand the need for a good comfort knob. Just surprised that so many words can be expended on a simple wood knob.