Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan loggers in 1890.

Michigan loggers in 1890.

Larry, Do you know any of these old boys??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michigan Loggers.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	81474
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I love these kinds of pictures. Much bigger logs than you see on trucks today.
    "We the People ......"

that is L.L.Johnson on the bottom row in the right hand side.. its hard to believe two horses can pull that much weight???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Where is the crane to hoist the log on the ground to the top of the pile?

Ohhh - those poor horses.

the guy on the right at the bottom is L.L.Johnson from charlotte michigan,, but what i find hard to believe is the weight them two horse are going to pull that is 50 to 60 thousand pounds if its white pine and its more if its red oak which i believe it is.. 98K if its red oak??/

leo, they would build rigging to do that, sometimes it was a wood frame that would allow them to roll them out onto the sleigh and other times they had a cable system rigged in trees to hoist with horses.. you can laod alot by just using the chains and pull them up the side.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    leo, they would build rigging to do that, sometimes it was a wood frame that would allow them to roll them out onto the sleigh and other times they had a cable system rigged in trees to hoist with horses.. you can laod alot by just using the chains and pull them up the side.
    A lot of the old logging operations that there were remnants of around where I grew up would build the landing around the biggest tree in the area. As I recall it it was called a "King Tree" (but I can't find a reference to that online so might be wrong). All of the rigging for loading would be done back to this tree and I think it was sometimes used as an anchor for skidding as well but am not as sure on that one. You could often find the stump of this in the middle of the clearing, often only it and a pile of sawdust was all that was left.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    the guy on the right at the bottom is L.L.Johnson from charlotte michigan,, but what i find hard to believe is the weight them two horse are going to pull that is 50 to 60 thousand pounds if its white pine and its more if its red oak which i believe it is.. 98K if its red oak??/
    Pulling it once its moving probably isn't so bad as long as there ain't no hills (down would be more exciting than up ). It would be interesting to see how they managed to break it loose and get it started though. My dog I had trained to pull the toboggan when I was a kid could pull me and three bales of hay on the toboggan at speed once we got it rolling. I'd have to throw my shoulder into the back bale of hay when I yelled "Mush!" and then run like the dickens to get on board and stabilize the load before it got away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Larry, Do you know any of these old boys??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michigan Loggers.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	81474
    Know them?!!! He worked with them!

Guys
    I think the crew was just having a little fun putting that load up for a picture. There's NO WAY that pair of crow-baits ever got it moving. Jon, back me up here!

I was thinking along the same lines as Peter. I'm betting it was a staged photo.

Or maybe a very early version of Photoshop. ( think they called it Phototent back then.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    A lot of the old logging operations that there were remnants of around where I grew up would build the landing around the biggest tree in the area. As I recall it it was called a "King Tree" (but I can't find a reference to that online so might be wrong). All of the rigging for loading would be done back to this tree and I think it was sometimes used as an anchor for skidding as well but am not as sure on that one. You could often find the stump of this in the middle of the clearing, often only it and a pile of sawdust was all that was left.
    We call that Skyline Logging where I'm from. In really remote places they would use what we called Spar trees along the skyline to help keep the skyline in the sky, but at the landing area where the trees were sized and then cut it was almost always a metal tower that was used, it came as a self propelled unit, usually like this....

I'm sure back in the day they used actual trees, but that may have been back when they were using steam winches as well...?

And more info that you might want can be found >> HERE <<
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward