Thread: Had to laugh...

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Had to laugh...

Here's a clip from an ad in the Albuquerque Craigslist, emphasis is mine:

"Sears Craftsman 10" table saw. Sturdy on 4 legs, 2 extender sides included. Solid construction. Only seen light use....mostly cut cardboard. Works great. "

I wonder if it could cut wood, too?
    Don't believe everything you think!

Whats so funny about this?

Actually I am just making a point here. As a woodworker I understand why people would laugh at this, but the truth is we have a nice 3hp delta at work that only cuts cardboard and the occassional hardboard. It does so because we use a lot of templates to make boats (darn compound curves).

Surprisingly, we have another machine that works great for cutting plywood. Its a shear designed to cut 1/2 inch stainless steel plate. The thing has a gillotine that comes down and with cut plywood just as well as steel plate. If I had a carpentry business or a cabinet shop I would have one of these machines. Pad the hold downs, and you could shear out a whole set of cabinets by the time you made one cut with a tablesaw, not to mention manuevering sheets around on a tablesaw and having to hold it tight against the fence is a pain.

Of course I say this without having a business, and without having to come up with the payment for one of these beastly machines.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I see plywood shears in the LARGE cabinet shops here in Japan all the time, they are fast and cut well, but EXPENSIVE.

Used ones in decent condition for for $10,000 plus

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I see plywood shears in the LARGE cabinet shops here in Japan all the time, they are fast and cut well, but EXPENSIVE.

Used ones in decent condition for for $10,000 plus

Cheers!
    One thing about those machines is that they would sure cut down on the amount of "Sawdust" they would have to collect and dispose of. Heck, over time that might even PAY for one of those machines.