I'm Really Jealous!

Paul Douglass

Went to visit a friend this afternoon that had recently retired. Took him a bottle of wine and some pieces to cocobolo to play with. He said his retirement gift to himself was a mustard machine! He had just ordered it! I hate him. At least I get to go help him unload it ans set it up, if he is still speaking to me. I am way beneath his status now!

This guy cracks me up. He has a shop so big, your voice echos when you talk. What tools does he have, a Shopsmith with most the attachments. He loves it and doesn't not want a nice uni-saw and all the other nice big tools. Go figure!

Went to visit a friend this afternoon that had recently retired. Took him a bottle of wine and some pieces to cocobolo to play with. He said his retirement gift to himself was a mustard machine! He had just ordered it! I hate him. At least I get to go help him unload it ans set it up, if he is still speaking to me. I am way beneath his status now!

This guy cracks me up. He has a shop so big, your voice echos when you talk. What tools does he have, a Shopsmith with most the attachments. He loves it and doesn't not want a nice uni-saw and all the other nice big tools. Go figure!

Hehe, maybe he just likes having room to move around in?

He'll be loving the Mustard! Maybe you can steal a few spins on it every now and then :D

OK - ya GOT me.

I goggled Mustard Machine.

I am guessing he is NOT making --- uhhhh - MUSTARD

I try to put 2+2 together - hey - this is a woodworking place - and this is a spinny land sort of discussion -

Mustard gotta have something to do with ---- Powermatic Lathe ???

The first time I turned on Vaughn's mustard meannie...I was scared!!! Those things are huge! Kinda like turning a pen on a VB 36

The first time I turned on Vaughn's mustard meannie...I was scared!!! Those things are huge! Kinda like turning a pen on a VB 36

And my Mustard Machine isn't even the biggest one Powermatic makes. But it is a good size, eh? :)

Nate Davey's Nichols lathe makes my 3520B look kinda small, though. ;)

Paul,

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Order you up an American Beauty and tell your friend with a mustard machine to eat his heart out!

I see Carol is in route to Yuma. May her trip be speedy and safe! Wanted to tell her when she gets around to reading this that there is a lady who uses her huge lathe as her kitchen magician sometimes just for chuckles. Might have the wrong lady but pretty sure a search on youtube and Cindy Drozda will turn up some funny turnings.

I am feeling happy, expected closer to a week wait, opened up my mailbox Saturday to find a priority mail envelope with a piece of Doug Thompson's steel with a Michelsen grind on it. My first quality turning tool. I haven't decided whether to use it or hang it over the mantle, might do both!

Hu

...I am feeling happy, expected closer to a week wait, opened up my mailbox Saturday to find a priority mail envelope with a piece of Doug Thompson's steel with a Michelsen grind on it. My first quality turning tool. I haven't decided whether to use it or hang it over the mantle, might do both!

Hu

By all means use it. Use it heartily and hard. And you'll see why a lot of us say Doug's gouges are the best made. :thumb:

By all means use it. Use it heartily and hard. And you'll see why a lot of us say Doug's gouges are the best made. :thumb:

Vaughn,

I'm waiting on the glue I want to put it in the handle I turned for it yesterday. Then I'm going to copy the grind onto my other gouge and take a bunch of pictures of the Michelsen grind. THEN I'm going to put that Thompson steel to work. I know it was a mistake to buy it, I have champagne tastes and a beer pocketbook. I suspect once I have one nice gouge it is a lot like having one nice fishing rod, none of the others seem fit to use anymore. I suspect that Thompson gouge is gonna be a very expensive tool before all is said and done. I hardly feel right using it on a Craftsman lathe either . . .

Hu