Lowe's Adjustable Saw Horse Modification

glenn bradley

I usually make this sort of thing but, the combination of dealing with a failed water heater, a personal project for the house that is taking too long and a Lowe's gift card from a well intentioned admirer led me to pick up a couple of these in the dent and ding bin. I love my two height assembly table and use the legs with and without the table top. The tallest height was a bit low for the current project and the benchtop was too high. The saw horses adjust but, the lowest height is about 25" which is about as high as I would ever need. I lopped the legs off and drilled a couple new holes for the wingnut and bolt that secure a given height selection (along with the keyhole pins like a lot of quick-assemble metal fixtures use).

I figured out a height that would meet my needs and leave the height adjustment mechanism functional. I wanted to knock about 9" off of the height so I cut a piece of scrap to this height. Using this as a marker got my height and angle in one shot.

Saw Horse Mod (1).jpg . Saw Horse Mod (2).jpg

Here's the result at the lowest and middle height.

Saw Horse Mod (3).jpg . Saw Horse Mod (4).jpg

And here they are at their new highest setting. My aching back feels better already :).

Saw Horse Mod (5).jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of those as well and absolutely love them. They're a little wobbly side-to-side, but not that bad. They have a real heavy steel tab that makes folding up on themselves impossible when the legs are fully open. Work great.

I recently had to use 'em in the house and didn't want to ding up the tile floor so I made some feet for mine that worked out really well...

SDC12235.jpgSDC12236.jpgSDC12237.jpgSDC12238.jpgSDC12239.jpg

Oh - and a shot of them in use...

SDC12242.jpg

Attachments

• SDC12240.jpg
    SDC12240.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 31
I was doubtful too but, ready many good reviews by folks who use them harder than I would. Still I set them up at maximum extension (before shortening) and laid about 400lbs of lumber on them and stressed them; they seem even more stable under load. They are definitely built in such a way that they require a proper stance for reliability. That is; if you were to get them strained at the joint beyond their restricted range of motion (Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world
biggrin.gif
), I have no doubt that they would fail despite the gauge of the metal (appears to be about 20 gauge). I clamp the I-beams to them which creates a very solid base.

P.s. Jason, cool idea on the little feet.

Last edited: