What is the difference

Leo Voisine

Interesting question came up on another forum

Ohh - I am sure this question comes up often enough anyway-

What is the difference

Cabinet ---- 7 letters -- starts with letter C
Furniture -- 9 letters -- starts with letter F

Really though - is there a real definition?
I do not believe there is.

Au contraire, my friend.

Different joinery, different 'trim', different applications. Just to start. More machinery, greater hand skills. All used for furniture and rarely for cabinetry. For a pictorial comparison, look at Glenn Bradley's entertainment center and Jim Hager's kitchen. Both beautiful work, but very different construction.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
What she said and to add you don't typically use things like metal draw slides on a fine dresser. But would never think of not using them on a kitchen cabinet.
But after that much will be the same face frame attached to plywood box filled with drawers and doors.:thumb::thumb:

I built a dresser for my granddaughter and I used drawer slides (unusual? - yes) - is it a cabinet?

King sized bed - under the bed drawers with drawer slides - cabinet?

Kitchen Island - movable - no drawer slides, lots of cabinets used to be built that way, dovetail, mitered, dado joints - Furniture?

Sideboard for dining room - doors on the sides - dovetail drawers - drawer slides on drawers - all nice joinery - all quality construction - no sheet goods --- Cabinet?

I have end tables on each side of my couch - drawer slides used - are they cabinets?

Just wonderin...........

Hardware doesn't make the determination. If anything does, it might be purpose. In any event, what's the point of the question? Methinks you will get 1.8 answers per reply. :rofl:

its how people perceive the words.
Furniture is a much broader term.
It refers to chairs, sofas, beds, etc.....
Cabinet, people think of something used to contain something. Storage cabinet, kitchen cabs,
A chair will always be referred to as a piece of furniture, never a cabinet. Same as sofa, table, .......

Sort of like the term "fine" furniture. Makes me want to puke even typing it! Personally its a way way way way way over used term as we will never know if what we made is actually "fine" furniture. That will only be determined by subsequent owners and only if they keep it in it's original as built condition. Once they modify it in some way shape or form would say it was never considered to be "fine" furniture.

No point - just wondering how people would answer.

I think the distinction is purpose.

Anyhow - it's just a dumb post.

And to answer your question I consider cabinets as fixed in place and not easily moveable where as furniture is ment to be moved and rearranged.