The Aparto Ver. 3.0

The electrical is done, the plumbing is done and we got a lot of the floor done too!
Yes I said "We" I had a visitor.....

udu9avem.jpg

Peter Rideout was in town on business and insisted on dropping by to lend a hand, brought his own tool belt too.
I put him to work right away....

emu8e2yz.jpg

9agyma4u.jpg

He worked hard, had lots of good suggestions too.
Thanks Peter, that was fun!

e3arepu4.jpg

A double selfi just to show I was there too!

Oh man the extent a Nova Scotian will go to in order to get a break from the weather. :)
Good one guys great pics. So are we done yet?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Oh man the extent a Nova Scotian will go to in order to get a break from the weather. :)
Good one guys great pics. So are we done yet?

What weather Rob? You mean that little dusting we got on Wednesday? I had to zip up my coat to go out to the barbeque. Severe, it was:D

I think Stu and I moved the project ahead a little. It was a great afternoon in any case. Thanks for the opportunity Stu, it was fun, sort of like the endless job of working on an 1840 farmhouse, but different!

Are we done yet? Well, he's not at the finish line, but he can see it from here. The wallpaper guy dropped by to do some estimating and had some sad news about his timeline. That could be a snag, but I think there are other options.
With the walls still open, it looks like a lot of work with a looming deadline. But, I think 2-3 hours will get the rest of the blocking done, then the floor's soon done and it's up with the drywall. We should see a big difference by Wednesday I'd say. The washing machine/refrigerator alcove looks worse than it is, with a hole going all the way down to Hades (don't want to drop your iPhone or new screwdriver down there) but once it's floored-over it'll look a lot better and there's a neat washing machine pan you'll soon see that I'd like to put in service at our house.

Thanks again Stu, and good luck with the rest of the project. I'm here all week if there is an emergency, but I do have to work for my employers in the daytime :D

You got some great help there Stu:) Kind of a long commute for you Peter:eek: Neat you to get to get together:)

It is a long old ride from the east coast, Tom, usually 24 hrs door-to-door, but it's a fascinating country and it's my good fortune to visit from time to time. And, it's always great (and inspiring) to drop in on Stu when I can and see what he's up to :thumb: We had a great afternoon.

Last edited:
The first layer of subflooring is finished.
Now I have to put sound sheeting down and then the second layer of subflooring.
I'll try to work some lunch in as well.
I hope to get all of the subflooring in today I have the entire day today.
Then some more blocking for the drywall and I hope to get the drywall done tomorrow.
byneqyse.jpg
6uzyruga.jpg
qa7a6y9u.jpg
vu2ysy4e.jpg

Today I'm at the point where I'm getting tired a little worn out, these are very long days I'm doing now, and my knees are giving me some troubles but I'm getting it done. This is really where it is a job not a hobby when you have to work even though you don't want to and the condition are not great. I'm not complaining I'm just saying this has become a profession not just a hobby.
It has sure been good to have friends like Tim and Neil here in Tokyo lend a hand and also to get a visit from someone like Peter it really boost my morale and makes doing the job that much better. Not to mention all the feedback, questions and comments I get from everyone on the site it really does make it a lot more fun. At times it can be a bit lonely doing this job nobody seems to understand or appreciate it as nobody else is a Carpender that I know here in Tokyo but all you guys can see all the trials and tribulations that one goes through on a job like this and appreciate it so anyways I just wanted to say thanks.

Well Stu I have always admired your motivation never mind your commitment to doing it right in the midst of people like MIL being around. To me it fundamentaly speaks to your values and love for your wife.
Can sure relate to your knees being sore. I saw the pics of Peter on the floor and it hurt my knees lol.
In SA army of my time we had a term...vasbyte, directly translated it means bite tight. :) We would say it whenever we were enduring something we would rather not do. Hope you have a good day today.

You're really making great progress today, Stu. I think it's going to come together very quickly and, the best news is, you'll soon be done with the floor work!
I'm thinking there's your thin sub-flooring next, then the drywall and the floor covering itself goes in last?
I like the look of the appliance alcove a lot better now than I did yesterday.
Keep at 'er. You're almost there :thumb:

Thanks again for the help Peter, your timeline is correct.
I had one more piece of the mat, so I put two layers I the high traffic area.
matemase.jpg

This stuff is 1.2mm (1/16") thick, I hope the double layer and the extra thick plywood will help to stop sound transfer between the 1st floor and 2nd floor which will help with quality of life.

Well 9AM TO 6PM today, got the floor done, and most of the blocking for the drywall. I'll get that done tomorrow, as well as a start on the drywall. Going to see if I can round up some strong backs to help hand bog the drywall up to the second floor.
The other wall paper guy came through for me and will do the wall paper on the 4th, Yahoo! That is one big road block removed!

All in all a good day.

I'm keeping track of my hours on site working, to date I have 54 hours into the job. This does not count hours of planning, researching or going to buy the materials and bring them to the worksite. I think the Monster-In-Law is getting a good deal just the same. :D

I'm keeping track of my hours on site working, to date I have 54 hours into the job. This does not count hours of planning, researching or going to buy the materials and bring them to the worksite. I think the Monster-In-Law is getting a good deal just the same. :D

It's a stunning deal. We ALL know that, Stu!
So the first time was the Sawstop, the 2nd time I forget what the tool was. Have you already picked out your "payment" for this or did I miss that announcement? :whistling:

Looking good, great to see the progress. I love how new subfloor makes a room look clean + ready for the new possibilities!
The most puzzling thing today for me is trying to figure out which "Calvin+Hobbes" cartoon is that on the door to the toilet room... :dunno::rofl:

Thanks for posting the progress!
...art