The Aparto Ver. 3.0

It's a stunning deal. We ALL know that, Stu!
So the first time was the Sawstop, the 2nd time I forget what the tool was. Have you already picked out your "payment" for this or did I miss that announcement? :whistling:

Looking good, great to see the progress. I love how new subfloor makes a room look clean + ready for the new possibilities!
The most puzzling thing today for me is trying to figure out which "Calvin+Hobbes" cartoon is that on the door to the toilet room... :dunno::rofl:

Thanks for posting the progress!
...art

Art as I've officially started my own business, and I'm paying taxes on that business now I can and will charge her like any other customer.

It will end up costing materials and labour about $7500, but that is about 60% of what it would cost to have another company do the job, and I know it would not be as well done either.

The Calvin and Hobbes strip that is really funny, I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow for you :D

Cheers!

Well 9AM TO 6PM today, got the floor done, and most of the blocking for the drywall. I'll get that done tomorrow, as well as a start on the drywall. Going to see if I can round up some strong backs to help hand bog the drywall up to the second floor.
The other wall paper guy came through for me and will do the wall paper on the 4th, Yahoo! That is one big road block removed!

All in all a good day.

It really looks great Stu. You're almost on the home stretch:thumb:

I sure hope so Peter!
Most of the blocking done, and my buddy Neil came to help hand bog the drywall up to the second floor.
5uqe2uzu.jpg

3adehava.jpg

I'll soon be able to start tossing up the drywall, that will REALLY transform the hole renovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

As I remember the tenant translating it something like this....

Calvin: The world is a stage.

Calvin: But obviously no one has a chance to rehearse their lines, so we all improvise.

Hobbes: Maybe that is why we never know if we are in a tragedy or a comedy?

Calvin: Life needs more special effects and dance numbers....

Can you read the Japanese writing, such as on the wallboard?

It seems like a hard language to learn because all of the letters are different than English.

[threadjack alert]

I write software manuals and help files for a living. In a former job, we translated the text of my English documentation into multiple languages. I would get the translated text and essentially "plug it in" to a template and handle any formatting issues that came up. This meant going through hundreds of pages, paragraph by paragraph, to make sure headings and such were in the correct fonts, and ither formatting things like bold fonts were how and where I wanted them. With the European languages (what we called FIGS - French Italian, German, and Spanish) I could work on those docs with no problem, even though I didn't really know the languages. But working with the Asian languages (Japanese, and two flavors of Chinese) was literally a headache-inducing act. Even though I wasn't reading the words themselves, I was scanning the characters and paragraphs, and my mind kept trying to convert the characters into something familiar. And Russian was in a similar league of pain...it has a mix of familiar and unfamiliar characters. :bang:

[/threadjack alert]

Almost got the drywall done....

uqeqepa7.jpg

u5yzutuq.jpg

ahatyqu2.jpg

Got a slow start, just could not drag my backside out of bed at 7AM, and I had to deliver the extra stuff I got last night at SVH.

zybymame.jpg

amyra9es.jpg

Just these couple of bits to do.

I got a bit of a respite, I'll be able to work on Saturday and Sunday to finish up.
Getting really close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Heck of a project Stu. You're doing a heck of a job. Well done indeed! :thumb:

I've been following along with interest. Really tight working spaces. Is this typical of much of Japanese construction? Noticed different floor joist arrangements, flat wall studding? Also wondered if exterior walls have thermal insulation, or sound insulation for bathroom walls???

Heck of a project Stu. You're doing a heck of a job. Well done indeed! :thumb:
Thank you sir, you are very kind!

Al Launier said:
I've been following along with interest. Really tight working spaces. Is this typical of much of Japanese construction? Noticed different floor joist arrangements, flat wall studding? Also wondered if exterior walls have thermal insulation, or sound insulation for bathroom walls???

OK this is not a usual house, first off it was two small houses that were combined into one and then made into four apartos, not your usual situation right?

The construction is sort of a combination of timber framing and balloon construction, remember the original construction is about 65 years old.

Insulation..... what's that? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

My buddy Neil came today to help unload the van and get the cabinets into the aparto, then he decided to stay and help with the drywall, we got that done soon and then the wallpaper guy came, he told me he would come tomorrow, Friday, and take the old wallpaper off and he would do the mud for the new walls, I did not have to do it, he would!

There was much rejoicing!

Neil and I then decided to bang out the floor, and we got it done and we put in the one long upper cabinet and the other lower cabinets are in place, I'll have to move them a bit, but basically I'm now way ahead! I need some wall anchors to put in the range hood, I did not realize where it would go and so I did not put in backer board to screw into, my mistake!

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

Starting to look like a real kitchen!

IMG_7586.JPG

The short upper cabinet and the range hood are sitting on top of the lower cabinets, I did not get them done today, I'll get that done tomorrow for sure.

IMG_7587.JPG

You can see the washing machine drain pan that will be installed tomorrow.

IMG_7588.JPG

That is Neil peeking in the door.

I know that some of you might say it is a bit tight, yes it is, but this is Tokyo and the choice I had was to make it more spacious, but have no countertops and no storage to speak of, I decided that a tight space was better, after all this is a small one person aparto, not like you will be having kitchen parties in there!!
From the third picture on the top cabinet and the range hood are resting on the lower cabinets.
Again a HUGE thanks to Neil, he really stepped it up and helped out!

Lots left to do, but we have really turned the corner on this one!

Stu is there going to be any prep done to that drywall before the cabinets go up or will you put something on the walls between them? Just thinking of kitchen type grime on walls from cooking.

You sure have moved fast on this one. Floors looking great. I bet its not just helping hand that Neil contributed but also the company and support of working with someone. :thumb: Glad to hear by the way that the Mil is getting a bill for this one. About time. :D:thumb: