Tom Clark Cabinets?

Kevin Sadaj

I'm getting ready to build new shop cabinets. I've looked all over for ideas and the best I've found are Tom Clark's design. They hit the mark on cost and ease of build.

Before I go through with it, have you found designs that are worth considering?

Yup Toms design worked for me, just dont use the draw slides i did, i was too cheap and used HD kitchen draw slides use the proper extension slides they worth the money and oh build them square according to Chuck :)

Here they are Darren http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?9748-Building-Simple-Shop-Cabinets

We should really add this to the tutorial section.

Word of caution, if one is going to make these mobile add a base. I did not and weight of tools etc distorts the frame so the draws give me trouble. I now have slides and plan on a major refurb some time maybe even a rebuild to make them properly this time.

You guys mind posting a pic or two of your cabinets?

image.jpgThis is the space I'm working with. Planning on 110" x 36" x 23" deep. A variation of cabinets and varying depths of drawers. Later I'll install some overhead storage ... When my commanding officer (my wife) approves. :)

image.jpg

...We should really add this to the tutorial section...

Done... :thumb:

[Edited to add...]

At Tom's request, we have removed the tutorial and the original posts where he described how he built his shop cabinets. I suspect this is due to book publishing issues, but I don't know that for certain. Hate to see the information go, but as an author (of sorts), I understand.

Wood will be delivered tomorrow from my local family owned mill. Will start this weekend. Will post pics as I progress. Thanks much everyone.

I spent the weekend working on my cabinets. I deviated from his design in that I build spaces for differing amounts of drawers and doors. So it's not just the same number of drawers on each side. I have several center supports between the plywood sides.

I took pics along the way and will post them when the project is done. I'll be building the drawers this week and then do the drawers faces.

I appreciate you folks talking about my shop cabinet designs. I recently asked Vaughn McMillan to remove the old thread I did back in '08. It was kind of dated, yet it was still being referred to quite often. It has been replaced with a photo album that shows many of the cabinets I have built over the last thirty years. When you click on a person's name their albums come up. Enjoy.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/album.php?albumid=169
By the way, last year two dozen of my cabinets were moved from my old Florida shop to the new one in New Mexico. They all survived the move with no damage, so I guess they are even hardier than I thought. Thought sure the brutes would destroy one or two of them.

Hey Kevin, looking forward to seeing your photos of your project.

Last edited:
Cool build a big thanks to Tom for his cabinet design.
Kevin just be careful as to how much weight you expect those slides to hold.
I did exactly the same using those types of slides and frankly regretted every minute of using them. I now have a whole box of new ball bearing extension slides ready for the change out this summer.
Those slides run on that plastic wheel, when a draw is heavily loaded the rivet acting as the bearing on those slides and the wheel bend and then alignment and draw movement becomes a pain to say the least.
So word of warning dont overload draws with heavy items. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kevin just be careful as to how much weight you expect those slides to hold.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

From the picture, the slides look like the euro ¾ travel, 50 lb slide. About 3" of the drawer stays inside the cabinet. It's not easy to get over 50 lbs in a kitchen drawer. It is inconvenient though, not having full extension slides. BTW...most slide manufacturers list the weight capacity based on an 18" slide, or otherwise noted.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif
movingplane1.gif

Nice write up.. Hated to se the turoiorials leave. They seemed real close to the book of which I have bought two. Gave the first one to my son.
I am sure you will get a lot of use out of these...Nice to see yoou using the tools with a little history..
Garry