Looking to find out if someone else has been asked to update the Google Play store app (essentially the app store for google on Android ) on their phone recently.
Reason i ask is it requires that one hit an accept button with new acceptance features.
Here are a few that have had me refuse.
- New Microphone ..."Allows the app to record audio with the microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation". This is directly verbatim from the app explanation.
- New Bluetooth Settings...."Allows app to configure local Bluetooth phone and to discover and pair with remote devices. also " Allows the app to view the configuration of the Bluetooth on the phone and make and accept connections with paired devices" verbatim
- Your Personal Information " Allows the app to change or add to personal profile information stored on your device such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others" "Allows Apps to read personal profile information store on your device such as your name and contact information. This means apps can identify you and may send your profile information to others." all verbatim.
- Modify Contacts " Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which youve called , emailed or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data." all verbatim.
- Read your contacts " Allows app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which youve called email or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
- Read your social stream " Allows the apps to access and sync social updates from you and your friends. Be careful when sharing information this allows the app to read communications between you and your friends on social networks regardless of confidentiality. Note this permission may not be enforced on all social networks"
- Write to your social stream " Allows the app to display social updates from your friends. Be careful when sharing information. This app allows the app to produce messages that may appear to come from a friend. Note: this permission may not be enforced on all social networks".
Under the heading "Full network access".
"The list goes on to network communication and NFC (near field connection ) allowing the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocolas. The browser provide meanst to send data to the internet so this permission is not required to send data to the internet"
There is even permission to allow access to storage and modify usb storage.
Now my point here is normally this kind of permission stuff is on a per app basis so one can accept or reject the app and evaluate if the risk is worth the value.
But in the case of Google Play services, this is the actual App that you need to obtain apps and update existing apps. So if you do not agree to this update you cannot obtain more apps.
I thought aspects like monitoring communication of a person were a crime in the USA and elsewhere, is it just that this technology has not been covered in modern day law.
I mean this is more than equivalent to going out to someones home and tapping their phone its also creating essentially the ability to read their post and hear what is going on in their home.
How the heck are they getting away with this?
So i guess my phone is becoming useless. So much for what i thought was going to be a great platform of technology.
I accept that a certain amount of privacy is gone forever but to have absolutely no control is just not on in my books.