Interesting Bed Design

Dave Richards

I found this while poking around on a design site.

1.jpg

Lots of other interesting pieces here.

Intersting piece.

I know from experiance that a whole log of that size weighs a lot. More than I could hope to lift by hand.

How would you go about slicing it like that? Chainsaw it close then planer? Old fashioned two man saw maybe?

I could see something like this selling for $10,000 to $12,000 to the right family in Aspen or maybe NYC, but that's just a guess based on it's appeal to me.

Goose down comforter not included--lol.

I heard on the radio last week that the world's tallest albino redwood chimera (52 feet tall and only 10 in the world),

is slated to be cut down to make way for train tracks in the San Francisco Bay Area's wine country.

If the bed could be made ouot of something like that, it would truely be a one of a kind, and a lot of

these artsy tree lover types have some serious spending cash (right now). Meaning, rare tree bed = costs a lot more to buy!

Could be a true one of a kind.

Otherwise San Fran will probably just push it into the tree chipper.

(the link is a media site, so it takes a bit before it loads up fully)

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ti-Sonoma-County-Fight-to-Save-250182551.html

Last edited:
...How would you go about slicing it like that? Chainsaw it close then planer? Old fashioned two man saw maybe?...

Actually, it's pretty easy to cut slabs like that with a portable bandsaw mill.

Wood Miser Mill

Several of us have slabs of walnut that were harvested by The Ambassador, Larry Merlau a few years ago. Mine was originally 76" long and varied between 28 and 41 inches wide. (It's been trimmed down a bit now.) One of these days it's going to become a one of a kind coffee table. :thumb:

Walnut Crotch 5 Front 800.jpg

Cool design Dave. Thanks for sharing that. I have a master bedroom bed/headboard/side tables thing to get around to and I am taking all the input I can get up front ;-) I really like the floating nightstands; eases cleaning.

Cool design Dave. Thanks for sharing that. I have a master bedroom bed/headboard/side tables thing to get around to and I am taking all the input I can get up front ;-) I really like the floating nightstands; eases cleaning.

Besides that, they look great.

Gee and I am getting a new mattress. However, I cannot figure out how to make one of those on a lathe.

Enjoy,
JimB