Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Router? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Harbor Freight Router? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

My Ryobi router died on me. I am considering purchasing the HF 1 1/2 HP variable speed router. What are your thoughts on HF tools? Ever have one? The customer reviews on the HF site were favorable but not sure if I should believe those.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-h...ter-67119.html
    Kevin

In arte voluptas - in der Kunst liegt Vergnügen - in art lies enjoyment

I'd save yer money and bite the bullet and buy a good one and only cry once
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I've read some posts where guys bought them and thought they were the schizzle. But for me, I still avoid anything at HF that has a power cord on it.

Look for a factory refurbished Name brand of your choice and never look back there are a lot of them out there and they are a good buy in my opinion.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

My general rule of thumb is that if it's used for anything requiring precision (like a router), chances are that Harbor Freight is not a good choice. I do have a few of their tools with cords on them that have served me well (particularly a close quarter drill that I use as a bowl sander and my dust collector), but for something like a router, I'd rather have something built to tighter tolerances.

Charles' recommendation to look for a refurbished model is good advice. I've had a lot of success buying refurb power tools. This place is a good place to start looking. They carry a lot of the major brands:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/on/demandw...ukeeOUTLETlogo
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you, gentlemen! CPO Outlets is my new "favorite" store. I've been wanting a Porter Cable router. When it arrives in the mail, what will I tell me wife???? Say I won it?
    Kevin

In arte voluptas - in der Kunst liegt Vergnügen - in art lies enjoyment

Just tell her about all the Beautiful stuff you are going to build for her
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Of all the tools I have made buying mistakes on . . . poor quality routers were the ones I replaced fastest. Save up your money, go with a quality tool. The answer to the question of who makes a quality router today is tougher to answer though ;-) DeWalt and Porter Cable have both felt the smiting hand of Stanley Black & Decker. Milwaukee routers (owned by TTI/Ryobi) have become hit and miss as to availability. Triton still seems to be high quality but, the 'different' controls add a learning curve for hand held use. Bosch America is still holding their own but, have never felt comfortable in the hands for me. A router is a very tactile tool for hand use and what is perfect for one may not suit another. Try to get your hands on any router you plan for hand held use if possible. Make sure you have 1/2" shank capacity (unless it is a trim or palm router) for bit stability and yes, when it comes in the mail you start jumping up and down shouting "I won! I won!"
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My only input on this is to consider:

1. collar grip strength. Will it be a Pain later on, as in crushed parts that won't let go, or wears out quickly.

2. the variable speed. How touchy is it. I have had 2 plunge routers. A cheaper craftsman and Bosch. the Bosch has more precise speed control. More precise everything.

but price plays a part in all decisions too.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Of all the tools I have made buying mistakes on . . . poor quality routers were the ones I replaced fastest...
    I've still got a cheap no-name Chinese router I bought for dirt cheap on eBay when I first started getting back into woodworking. I've never even installed a bit in it. I could tell right out of the box that it was junk, and a potential safety hazard too. It's so bad that I can't bring myself to sell it on Craigslist, or even give it away to someone who's just starting out. Probably the next time I go back to LA I'll cut the cord off of it (I save power cords) and toss it in the trash.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com