Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with an Idea

I need help with an Idea

OK you guys that know about electronic stuff. I want to make up something that I can put in my Booths in Branson that will let people plug into and amp to try out the guitars and also have a CD player on loop to play a CD for people waking by the booth to hear or maybe a video screen that plays something like a youtube video on a loop. Would like to have it so they can switch between one or the other and have it return to CD after they walk away and forget to turn it back.

Anybody have any good and affordable ideas.

The whole thing will go in a free standing cabinet that will be made up to look old and used.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I've got a little battery powered Fender Mustang Mini amp that has a bunch of built in effects, has an aux input for your MP3 player (Or CD,if you choose, but you can get a whole more on a little mp3 player than you can a CD).

It wouldn't do any of the automatic switching around and stuff, but it's small, loud enough, and flexible.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Depending on how cheap you want to go a little karoke box might be the ticket..

http://www.amazon.com/Crate-CA15-Cim...nput+amplifier
    This sounds made to order..

Garry

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AT10...JJGQ0F1X0JH8AK

Maybe even better and 50 bucks cheaper..

As Brent mentioned, getting a little guitar amp with an Aux input would be easy enough. The automatic switching back to a predetermined setting would be the tricky part. I'd also be a bit hesitant to have it set up to where customers could do the switching from the demo loop (audio or video) to live playing. It's real hard to build something like that and make it idiot-proof. (Idiots just keep getting more and more inventive.) Instead, I'd have a loop going, and if someone shows interest in a particular instrument, then you can say "Let's plug it in so you can hear how it sounds", then do the switching for them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Might consider a timer delay relay (http://www.amazon.com/Products-Delay...me+delay+relay or http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-A...FDCXSVD4R4TFG3) and have it switch input between a guitar jack and input from an mp3 player setup to play tracks in a loop. Just wire in an arcade button (http://www.amazon.com/Pushbutton-Arc...=arcade+button) to kick in the relay and program it for x number of minutes then it will switch back to the mp3 when time is up.

Here is pdf for the relay in the first link (http://www.elkproducts.com/_literatu...0_Instructions) you may need to use a DPDT relay controlled by the relay on that board so that you switch both signal and ground from both sources to eliminate any ground loops, but will have to test it without to see if it's necessary.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 03-21-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    As Brent mentioned, getting a little guitar amp with an Aux input would be easy enough. The automatic switching back to a predetermined setting would be the tricky part. I'd also be a bit hesitant to have it set up to where customers could do the switching from the demo loop (audio or video) to live playing. It's real hard to build something like that and make it idiot-proof. (Idiots just keep getting more and more inventive.) Instead, I'd have a loop going, and if someone shows interest in a particular instrument, then you can say "Let's plug it in so you can hear how it sounds", then do the switching for them.
    Problem is Vaughn I am not down there they are unattended booths I only go to restock. Im thinking Darren is on to something.
    Oh Yeah I dont need a fancy amp just something for them to see that it does have a pick up. After all for right now they are just Disc or Rod Piezos
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Maybe?

Maybe just a knob thats a timer for say 2 minutes. Plug the guitar in turn the knob get 2 minutes of amp sound in the speakers, at the end it reverts back to the original player.

Just leave both the amp and the player on at all times and only switch the speakers over.

Maybe, but don't know if this might ruin the amp or something?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

You've got merchandise out and the booth is unattended?

Color me confuzzled.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash