Building a new shop

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Your input would be appreciated. I am starting in on the plans for my new shop, and many more brains applied to this will be better.

So, from your experience, with the shop you now have, what do you like the best? If it could not be bigger (or smaller) what would you do differently if you had it to do over again. If your budget was still as limited as it was when you first built it, what would do first, second, etc.

In other words, please apply your 20-20 hindsight to your present shop and share your thoughts.

Thanks.

More outlets! At around the 50 inch mark so I could lean sheet goods against the wall and not cover them. I have two 3x5 windows in the middle of two adjacent walls, they eat a lot of space.

In my 3-rd shop I would:

Seriously consider a wood floor.

Build in permanent air conditioning.

Plumb air lines inside the walls

Yes - more outlets.

Build in some sort of exhaust - to evacuate the shop air as needed.

Finishing/Paint booth (room)

I sheet rocked and painted my present shop - I would do it again.

Build in the DC

Install A/C. I have plenty of outlets ( I have over 60 on walls and in ceiling) build outside area for Dust Collector and Air Compressor. I would also build and install cabinets in shop before moving everything in (Dont ask my why I think that :doh:) I would also have doors open in and not out. Opening out sounded like a good safety idea but causes problems with the wind up here on the hill.

We are both in SoCal so I can relate environmentally ;-) One thing I miss about my previous shop is having the large (garage) door hidden from the street. I could open the big door with impunity and confidence that I wasn't wetting any crooks appetite with a view of my tools. I also enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. Seriously consider sky lights (or Solatubes if you are going to finish your overhead).

In my current shop I am pretty happy with at least one exception. I would make a separate out-building for my lumber storage. I would have a small wall rack to hold lumber to be milled, already milled or completed parts for the current project. A separate area for finishing would be nice too but, I mostly finish by hand so let's not get crazy.

A lean-to for the compressor and the dust collector would be a blessing. Between those two space hogs and an out-of-shop storage area for material, I would have plenty of room in my 20' x 30' area.

Needless to say, the usual rules apply;
- build your dust collection into the shop, don't add it on after.
- put in twice the number of power receptacles you think you will ever need in this lifetime then add 20%.
- always have at least one light fixture on a separate panel so if the whole shop blows, you aren't left in the dark.

A wood floor would be cozy but, a couple $20 packs of foam mats from Sam's Club and I have all the foot-leg-back easing, dropped-chisel-saving floor covering I need. I have re-org'd the machine positions a few times as my methods and workflow evolve. ASTM-2729 DC ducting is super easy to change and Santa Fe Pipe could be nearby your new digs . . . if they're still there(?).

A couple of 12/3 x 40 foot cord reels easily solve any ad-hoc power needs I have ever had. My main vac is stationary, tool activated, has a dust deputy and about 30' of 2-1/2" hose. With the addition of a hose-whip for whatever tool I may be using, this has worked out great.

Make your assembly table mobile so it can double as a work surface or collapsible so it can get stowed when not in use. My latest version is the torsion I-beams of different lengths and a couple of adjustable metal saw horses from the BORG. So far this is the best version yet as I do not have an extra 120 square feet for a permanent assembly platform and the room to work around it.

Setting up a new shop is a blast. Have fun, enjoy and take us along . . . we're so needy.

Last edited:
  1. Most of the above
  2. Several (as needed) centrally/conveniently located on/off switch for dust collector/air filtration system.
  3. I would definitely recommend a laundry type sink - sooooo handy-use it ALL the time!
  4. Phone (conversation or for emergency 911 call)
  5. Fire extinguisher
  6. Smoke alarm
  7. High ceilings for overhead storage
  8. Rugged, studded walls for shelving
  9. Full height plastic sheeting to protect shelved goods from dust accumulation
  10. Handy air freshner to rid area of unwanted "fragrances", "Brushed Cotton" works well

Last edited:
High ceilings are a big win for me in my current setup. The back of my shop (cough garage but when has it ever parked a car?) has 16' ceilings throughout. About 8' from the back wall there is an overhead storage area that is 8' up from the floor which gives a lot of nice overhead storage space as well as leaves the front of the shop nice and open. The other nice thing about the overhang is that it provides a nice place to run overhead wiring, etc.. to tools into the middle of the shop. I would probably try to make the overhang 10' tall if I was running DC lines under it (although they could easily sit on top as well I suppose at which point 8' is fine for that). The 16' center ceilings are more than tall enough but after having them I don't think I'd be as happy with less than 12-14' ceilings. The tall ceilings make it bearable in the summer as well - if I was someplace hotter I'd want more/better roof venting up there as well.

Overhead wiring is quite handy. While having lots of drops along the wall is nice; a couple of pull down receptacles is really convenient - I bought a quality wire reel actually rated for 20a (harder to find than you'd thing.. nice heavy wire) that was not to long (you want a good chunk of it unrolled when not in use to avoid overheating so for 16' ceiling I used a 25' reel although 50' would probably have been ok the 25' reaches most of the front of the shop). I also ran most of my bigger tools power on whips that run overhead and then drop down by the tool. When not in use I can just unplug and roll the whips up and tie them which provides a nice "its unplugged" cross check. I wouldn't mind having 2-3 more overhead 110v drops.

Having air supply overhead would mean I actually use the air tools some as well.. instead of "grumble when I have to" dig the compressor out from under the bench and pull the hose out across the shop...

Surface mount wiring. Doesn't matter how "done" you think you are.. you aren't. I'd disagree with Leo about plumbing air inside the walls (agree it looks nicer but its gonna leak eventually - at least if I run it :D :rolleyes:) and put pretty much everything surface mount/in raceways.

More windows/daylight. Biggest complaint about the current shop is lack of windows. I've been looking longingly at shops with clerestory windows - they seem like a really nice way to get lots of indirect light and not block up your walls. I could be convinced that Glenns solar tube idea would be acceptable (we have them in our bathrooms and they are really great there).

Water. I ain't got none! A nice sink setup would be fantastic. Actually if I had space I'd really want two; one in the finishing room and one in the main shop (on the other side of the wall perhaps). An emergency (or non emergency if you have room) overhead shower would be nice just in case. But at least a sink to rinse stuff like stones, etc.. off would be a real bonus.

A separate area/space for finishing. Even just a reasonably laid out area where you have a good pull around floor-ceiling curtain would be nice. Being able to keep truckin on other stuff while the finish dries would save a fair bit of time. In my dream shop this is another room, in the real world a curtained space would mostly suffice for the work I do. In either case having some sort of separate fan/airflow system for venting that space would be highly desired. I've worked with clean rooms that were just plastic curtains and airflow that had a lot higher particulate control requirements than any reasonably finishing setup so I know that that can be made to work well :D.

Better DC, and a real compressor. Preferably in attached but separate spaces for noise control.

More comfortable/safer floor. Wood of course would be nicest.. but even just horse stall mats are decent (the number of those in place keeps creeping up). The safer part is mostly for tools, dropping them on concrete is bad for their health (stuff "happens"..) but imho my back is healthier on not concrete as well so.. I could see perhaps having a "hand tool" area with wood floors and a "machine" area with concrete and mats in specific work areas around the machines where you stand a lot.

Attached wood storage. I seem to accumulate bits of this and that.. having them in an attached but separate shed instead of stashed under the wings of the tablesaw/side of the drill press/etc.. etc.. would help organizationally.

More separate metal working space. Might not be relevant to you? Having some metal working capabilities is nice though and would be better to isolate the contamination areas..

Light and sun exposure. In your area you could almost work without walls. Lazy Daze motor homes do much of their work just under roof up in west of LA. I know yo need walls for dust control in finishing but I love sunshine. Lots of outlets and l almost prefer hanging from the ceiling than wall mounted.

Lots of lights for wwhen the sun isn't shining....

Solar temperature control as much as possible. Maybe some thermal storage for evening hours. Like Glen a big door that opens to as much privacy as possable.

As much square footage as you think you need plus 35-50 percent...

Lots of good storage to keep clutter down.

I really like the look of the stuff Ron Paulk is doing.....

No car sharing the shop...
Garry

everything leo said would be sweet, especially built in dust lines, but my mian thing would be making sure I have enough room that Id never have to move a machine again. Every one would have its own spot with enough room to maneuver around it without having to make the machines mobile.

So, from your experience, with the shop you now have, what do you like the best? If it could not be bigger (or smaller) what would you do differently if you had it to do over again. If your budget was still as limited as it was when you first built it, what would do first, second, etc.

I Like:
- that it is in the basement, so I can very easily pop in for a few minutes and still be "within reach" in the house. Also that means I get heat and A/C automatically since I am inside the conditioned envelope of the building. Also that means I can access the shop no matter the weather. Also that means that my projects are already acclimatized to the humidity of the house. Also that means that plumbing (be it sink or bathroom) is really not an issue
- While I would like a large shop, I'm actually okay with it being on the compact side, since most things are close at hand, and I have been forced to be very smart with organizing and storing things, which also means that I can FIND things fairly easily.
- Having the TS on it's own circuit, ditto the DC. Having the TS on a switched outlet so that I can disconnect power (for changing blades, etc) by just flicking the wall switch and not having to unplug. It's also safety feature, given that I have kids underfoot.
- Having a bright paint scheme.
-

Would do differently:
- note, I did not "build" my shop, since it is in the basement, so there is not that much physical that I COULD do differently.
- My lighting is a bit of a hodge podge and I would probably put in one or two more 4ft banks of t8 fluorescent if I was starting over.
- I don't think 10ft ceilings are necessary, but I do wish I had at least 8'6" -- that would allow a cyclone (if I had one) and just give a touch more headroom. Right now I have about 7'8/10". Note that I use ceiling storage (like Glen) so 10ft ceilings would actually be a negative unless I also had a larger shop footprint.
- The previous owner put in a standard door. I would like a 36" door for more easily moving things in and out.
- another window would be nice. I'm not 100% sure about skylights, they are a bit of a hole in your ceiling insulation, let alone any leaking/roof issues. (Yes I do have some, but I don't have anywhere near the friendly sun that you do!) What about just some high horizontal windows - they let in light but not necessarily prying eyes.

Carol. I've worked in a shop for a long time, beginning in high school, through a 28 year career teaching Ag Mechanics and now on my 7th year of retirement from teaching. I've built 4 shops for myself and helped to set up 1 school shop and I've learned a lot about putting one together. No expert however. The last shop I built about 2 years ago. It's a red iron building 50x80 with the front 20'x 50' dedicated to office space, show room, rest room, supply/tool room, and paint booth. I had the building built with 10' side walls, two walk doors in the shop area, one in the front area, and 3 overhead doors to take advantage of the natural air movement. I also had the red iron building built with flush with the wall main support columns to allow me to frame up the walls with 2x4 sleepers and sheath the inside with osb. I didn't paint the osb this time, had done it before in white but it always looked dirty so I opted out this time. The paint booth has sheetrock since it is easier to clean. I installed one main panel and two sub panels to distribute the wiring around the building in the most cost efficient way possible. I put in lots of 20 amp 110 rec, lots of 30 amp 220 rec around the shop walls. The majority of the circuits in use right now however are dropped in from the top with armored cable conduit so I can relocate just about anything. I dropped down from the boxes on the roof perlins with cord and put the outlet boxes or plugs on the end at the level needed for that tool. I spent a lot of time locating all my tools BEFORE I wired anything. Once all the wiring was done I went to work on the dc. I ordered a new dc cyclone and attached it to the wall of the shop rather than a stand. I used 6" HVAC galvanized duct pipe and hvac fittings all screwed together, taped and hung from the ceiling with small double link chain. All of that can be moved about without too much trouble. Even with all the planning I did I still have a need to move some things around. I haven't yet but I do plan on moving my wide belt sander, brush sander, one of the mitre saws, two work benches, router table, and band saw. I also want to redo my plywood storage from mobile carts to a stationary rack to store the plywood on it's end in a vertical fashion and get rid of a horizontal storage rack that I also have. I also should mention before moving on that I put air lines inside the walls behind the osb and stubbed out to ball valves located around the shop, and also dropped in some from the top to some hose reels and my spray booth. I used copper lines. I attached shower neck fittings to the steel frame of the building to plumb to and to make a good strong attachment before the ball valve. Pretty much the same midset as putting in outlets for power.

I've had one standard frame shop with stud walls and trusses, two pole barn buildings with 8' side walls, and this building I'm in now. By far this building is the most serviceable of the ones I have built for myself. My son and I are partners in the cabinet shop and we are really enjoying working together. Good luck on your new plan.

I would like a little more room. But, the most important thing to me and what happened to me, I quit working on the shop and moved stuff in prematurely and now find myself with a half shop (can see the end at the end of my build thread). Now I fight clutter and no specific home for hand tools. So I need to dedicate time this spring to finishing drawers, shelves along with fastener storage.

Oh What Fun Carol is going to have!

1. Have a sub-panel with, at least, 20 slots. I started with 8 and thought that would be plenty. Well, that decision cost me a lot of work and some $. I replaced it with 20 breaker capability. 18 of those are in use now---In addition to a couple in the main box, which is outside. It seems totally obvious, however since it could be forgotten I will say---the sub-panel is inside.

I have a dedicated 120v circuit for the computer and printer. I have two 240 volt outlets; each requires two (ganged) breakers. See how it grows. This takes 5 breakers and we have not even touched on lighting (at least two circuits so lights stay on even if one gets tripped). Now we are up to 7 breakers. Now we want breakers for TS, planer and jointer. If you never have two of those going at the same time one circuit could do it (however, I wouldn’t). Any 120v 1 1/2 to 2 hp motors would be healthier on dedicated circuits. My DP is 1 hp, the 14” BS is 1/2 hp, grinders are probably 1/2 to 1 hp, etc.

I would suggest that you write down every cotton-pickin’ power tool that you have on a spreadsheet with columns for volts and amps. Know which tools get used together (DC and TS for example); this will let you figure which outlets to put where so you don’t get blackouts.

I wired with 12 gauge 3-wire for all machinery. I also used it for some of the luminaires since I had it; it saved a trip to the big box. Be sure you use the proper outlets for 14 gauge and 12 gauge. When wiring I ran out of 20 amp outlets; I used a couple 15 amp on 20 amp lines. I put bright blue tape on them as a temporary marker until I updated them---I think that was a year ago. That is stupid. It is like the temporary classrooms at Chaffey College. The temps are still there 25 years later. Do it correctly the first time. End of lecture.

2 Air in the walls would be Heaven. It is amazing how many things a long air hose can knock over, spill, pull out, etc.

3 I do have a “gable fan.” That was one of the best inexpensive investments I ever made. On a hot day the shop temp is MUCH cooler than it was without. It can also help with exhausting fumes. Up where it is hot, it kicks in at 90*F.

4 I have already been glad that I paneled with OSB using woodscrews. Remove screws and you are inside of the wall where lots of goodies/baddies are. It is an absolute blessing for adding an outlet or whatever. You don’t even have to remove the insulation to cut an outlet hole in the panel or to pull wire.

Summary:
Insulation for temperature control
A/C if you are in a hot area
Heat
Lots of electrical potential---Do Not think in terms of now---you will add new toys in the future.
Central Dust Collection. No coarser than 1 micron filtration if the thing is inside with you. Better yet, exhaust outside; then you don’t care what the exhaust filtration is. It is a lot quieter also.
Running water, even if it is only cold, in the shop. I think my biggest stupid in the shop was not doing that.

What you do at first is what you live with. At the beginning you are all excited about the new shop. Later you will find that you can put things off, like my blue taped outlets…I am aware and I know what I am plugging in there, but it is still stupid.

I’m sure there is more that I have not thought of.

Enjoy,
JimB

Now I'll go back and see what others have written. That should be interesting!

I think Ryan talked me out of the compressed air in the walls. However, I have never had an air leak or condensation problem. I still think both of his reasons are valid.
It is a shop and the only real downside(s) to having piping on the room side of the walls is that they get dusty and spiders love them.

I, vehemently, do NOT want windows. If I want to see outside I will open a door. Windows gather dust and moisture condensation. Windows take up very valuable wall real estate. My walls are for hanging/mounting tools to make them handy. I'm in the shop to do woodworking. When I want to watch rabbits or egrets or hawks I will go out to the patio or look out of the Dining room window.
I do not want to look at fly-specked, dusty, smeared windows. I do not want to spend time I could be in the shop cleaning those windows. Do I sound a bit biased? You are right; I am VERY biased.

Windows also mess up your climate control. In computing windows into a heating or cooling plan they are considered open holes...or at least they were when I took physics class. I do not want to heat up or cool outdoors. Let mama nature do that. Architects put windows in the plans for my medical buildings. I took them out and was very happy that I did so. Now, if I was a dentist and had an outside view, I would really put in windows. I think it is good psychology for that profession.

The architects designed using three air conditioning units. When I took out the windows, they said that two units were quite adequate---and they were.

Last edited:
My shop construction started October 2007...the building is done but I am still struggling with the final tool layout.

I had the shop built to a dry-in condition by a contractor, no insulation/wall coverings, minimal lighting. I figured on doing the interior buildout myself. If I did it over, I would have had the contractor finish off the space.

The things I like:

- The shop is a detached building about 60' from the main house. Eliminates dust from flowing into the house. Keeps the noise away so I can work anytime day or night without disturbing anyone.
- Put in a large laundry style sink for clean-up (hot and cold water)
- Put in a toilet (this is great on nasty/cold/hot days or middle of the night.) It is also good when I work outside in the garden, I can go in the shop and wash my hands or use the bathroom without tracking dirt/mud into the house.
- 10' clear ceilings. The light fixtures are mounted 3-1/2" above the bottom of the trusses and cannot easily be hit by wood swinging around. I don't have to worry about carrying or swing around 8' long boards. The power reels are located above the tools so they aren't easily hit either.
- I put down rubber matting on the concrete flooring everywhere I walk and not just by individual tools.
- Put in plenty of lights and switch them in groups so all of the lights are not on all the time.
- Put the first light by the entry door on an occupancy sensor, so I can get into the building and shut off the alarm without trying to feel for a switch at night. I also don't have be concerned about turning it off when I leave for the night.
- I put in two battery backup light fixtures, in case of power outage or the lighting circuits trip. The lights are on separate circuits from anything else and normally should never trip.
- I put in heating and cooling (as soon as the building was fully insulated.)
- Put in full 200amp electric service. More than enough power to run multiple tools simultaneously.
- I put in windows but up high on the wall. The bottom of the windows are at 8', so have full use of the wall at the window location. The two windows 24"x48" are located on the side facing the house. The entry door is also facing the house. This was done for security reasons. I have big flood lights on motion sensor at the overhead doors, so I can see easily from the house all points of entry into the shop at night time.
Things I would have different:

- I would have finished the building construction completely before buying all the big stationary tools. Because I bought all of the big tools soon after the contractor was done, I could not set them in the final spot, while I was finishing off the interior. It seemed like I was always shifting and moving the tools around to work on a different section of the shop walls or ceilings and because of work and family, it ended up taking years to finally finish it off.
-I thought that with a 1200sf shop I would have a ton of space, but once I got every thing in the building and figured out clearances around the tools, workbenches, assembly table, it has gotten cramped pretty quickly.
-I bought too much wood (great prices off of CL) to early, before the wood storage portion of the shop was completed. (I have about 5000BF.) So it too was constantly in the way.

Rob

Last edited:
More outlets, whole house attic fan to help pull a breeze through in the summer and help exhaust smells, a lot more lighting, and get the compressor/dust collector into a separate room from the main work area.

everyone keeps saying bigger bigger bigger, but I think you have to make sure just how big a shop you will be able to build since you have neighbors and aren't in the middle of the desert or have 8 acres of land.
I think you might have to spend a ton of money of soundproofing since I can guarantee most neighbors will not welcome the noise with open arms, especially if they enjoy the empty lot next to them.also, venting dust outside will have the code inspectors knocking on your door very quickly if you live within a 100 feet of someone else.
And I think another huge factor, is you have to sit down and look a bit to the future, as in do you really need a tremendous shop since will you be doing large jobs down the road, like in a few years?
I know woodworking can go all the way with us into our 70s and 80s, but I don't see myself moving around sheets and large amounts of lumber years down the road to build large projects. Id most likely scale my projects down to smaller projects as I get older and my bones make more noise every time I lift something.

Last edited:
After reading all this and watching the videos, I AM SOOOO DEPRESSED!

View attachment 81863

Its not the size of the shop Paul, its what you do in it. You're fine :D :thumb:

One more silly thing I like in my shop. All of the "shared circuit" outlets are color coded. That way if I'm plugging in two higher amp portable things I can quickly look and go "hmm that one is on the black circuit I'll plug this one into the white circuit".

Jim, your reasoning is why I'm thinking clerestory style overhead windows might be nice. I really really like natural light (even the "natural" bulb T8's pale in comparison) so would want it somehow someway. Loosing wall real estate to them isn't overly attractive for the most part (although doors could/should probably have them).