Building a new shop

Cannot add anything to what has been said except i like a good deal of it after having tried to build my last shop in similar vein. I think one thing that has not been mentioned is budget. For most of us in hobby sense budget has to dictate what will and will not be a reality.

I think another reality to consider is age. Starting out a shop at say 45 versus starting out woodworking and a new shop at say 65 are two very different things to me. Again it depends on money but realistically as we get older we going to be swing less of the heavy stuff around and so some of the items we would have liked aint going to play the same role. One could easily get the impression if one read the posts that one cannot do woodworking if one does not have a shop with XYZ fitted and at one time in my life some of that logic would have prevailed. But its amazing how much fun you can have even with a small space.

The key to me lately is not so much space but having good tools. I still think that tops the list in relation to weighing up the pro and con and budget in shop versus tools etc.

BTW you got enough input for a mini book on the topic of setting up shop. ;)

I am looking forward to your build on your "dirt" especially interested in this septic tank issue and costs versus space etc. Given you in California i presume you going to encounter some of the toughest environmental regulation in the US so that will give me a taste for what i am going to be up against here.

We began our reconnaissance this winter, but i am told by real estate agents it will be easier and better to look at a piece of dirt with a dwelling on it even if said dwelling is a train-wreck and basically ready for demolishing rather than getting the ball rolling on a blank slate virgin piece of ground. Seems the area the land falls in around here ends up with some or other authority wanting a "development levy" what for i don't know if you aint using any of their "developments" such as sewers etc.

Best of luck Carol.

Old but well read posts!

I have one disconnect to kill everything but the alarm circuit. It is the last thing I do before I exit the building. If I were starting from scratch I would have dust collection and machine power from below the wooden floor. If it were above concrete the joists could rest on the concrete and provide space for duct. Floor panels screwed down for easy access. freeze proof cabinet for paint and glue (converted fridge) or built in insulated closet. Motion light at door. No light fixtures below 9 feet. Hose reels (power and air) next to the garage door another set above the workbench. Small spot light above tblsaw. I do not leave tool chargers unattended, my neighbor lost his shop from an imported charger. I also have a vertical fan to lift cold air from the floor, makes a huge difference in comfort in winter.
Thanks to everyone for your posts.

Andy made a comment that made me think of something I could have done in my shop. I installed a 30 breaker distribution panel in my shop to break up the power into different circuits, both 110 and 220. In hindsight, I wish I had installed two distribution panels, one for major machines with a main breaker, the other for all other circuits. The overall cost wouldn't have been much different and it would have given me the option to flip one "switch" to kill power to all "dangerous" machines.