Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas - Chuck Storage - My Solution

Need Ideas - Chuck Storage - My Solution

I'm trying to come up with a organized and neat way to store my lathe chucks and chick jaws. I have been keeping them in a box but would like a nice way to keep the jaws together and easily accessible and not take up a lot of room. Anybody got good ideas, pictures?
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 03-24-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    "We the People ......"

Where did you find those lathe chick jaws I'm sure there are those that would like to know as well as those looking for someones sister that is just as pretty & talented as her already married sister.

You could build something like this cabinet with MDF blocks made to fit the drawers to set the chuck & extra jaws down into.

When I get a new lathe I plan on doing this & making it the right height to fit underneath the lathe when It's not being used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out in the shop 047A.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I agree with Bart. Building a set of drawers with adjustable dividers to suit your specific requirement is always a good solution. That being said, dad and I built a couple sets of drawers that fit under the lathe. The two bottom drawers IIRC were sized for chucks. Butter tubs make good isolators for the chucks themselves. Jaws and other goodies could fit in divided areas.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi,

Here is the cabinet Glenn mentioned above. This is an old pic. It is just a little neater now and the DC duct is not hanging down that way. I could not get new pics. They are installing new wood floor and carpet in the house and all of the junk (valuable ((ha ha)) furniture, knick-knacks, etc. are shoved into the shop).

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1797.jpg  
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

My Solution

Okay, this is my simple solution. I don't have space for any more cabinets. I don't have a lot of chucks and chuck jaws. So I build a board that fits up under my hanging cabinets that is hinged so I can put it up when I don't need access and bring it down when I do. I still have to get a chain or something to hold it up and down. But I think this will work, at least for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	81877
    "We the People ......"

At school I have two plastic dish pans that I put a board across like Paul shows. I also have holes drilled for the handles and assorted items that go along with them. So a student "borrows" the whole pan and keeps it at their lathe while using that tool. I stole the idea from the woodworking class I took. I am not that creative.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Magnetic strip kitchen knife holders, one right above the other maybe, but your present setup looks pretty good to me.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Need Ideas - Chuck Storage - My Solution

Just as a general note, I've had lathes with and without storage underneath, and much, much prefer to not have things under the lathe. Obstructions under the lathe really limit where my feet an be positioned when I'm turning.

My chucks are typically on a bench next to the lathe. (My bandsaw extension table, actually.) Spare jaws are in a nearby drawer, loose, but grouped as sets. I wouldn't want individual lidded tubs or boxes for the jaws...just one more step to do when I want a set of jaws. Despite being loose in the drawer, the jaws don't get mixed up. On the relatively rare occasion when I need to clanks jaws, I just open the drawer and grab the jaws I need.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have a separate tool cart that is, of course, covered with shavings. In the drawers I store chucks and I put the jaws (chick jaws?) in tuna cans. They hold all but the largest jaws and can be stacked when smaller jaws are within.

Phil Stivers
    Woodturning, Tool Junkie,
    All Around Nice Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Just as a general note, I've had lathes with and without storage underneath, and much, much prefer to not have things under the lathe. Obstructions under the lathe really limit where my feet an be positioned when I'm turning.

My chucks are typically on a bench next to the lathe. (My bandsaw extension table, actually.) Spare jaws are in a nearby drawer, loose, but grouped as sets. I wouldn't want individual lidded tubs or boxes for the jaws...just one more step to do when I want a set of jaws. Despite being loose in the drawer, the jaws don't get mixed up. On the relatively rare occasion when I need to clanks jaws, I just open the drawer and grab the jaws I need.
    Vaughn you better watch out & not clanks jaws too much they may not continue to work properly.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart