It's Art's fault...just so we're clear.
I was off work today, so decided to have a little shop time and throw together a Cajon from some scrap baltic birch. The piece I used looks like it has worm tracks or spalting going on with it, so put all of that side of the board to the outside to see it.
Still need to round over the edges and I think I'm going to make the snare wires adjustable by mounting them on a dowel where they can be rotated for different tensions or out of the way completely, still playing with design on that part.
I also used a piece of luan plywood for the soundboard, will have to pickup some birch or another species the next time I'm across town.