Well, this sucks.

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
After 13 or 14 years of somewhat faithful service my old shop vac finally bit the dust. While sanding today I could smell something burning. A quick inspection of the shop vac confirmed my suspicions. I took the housing off the top and feel how hot it was. Disconnected the motor from the body and turned it over and then heard the sound of about a dozen tiny ball bearings bouncing across the concrete floor. I guess it was time.

About a half-hour research on the web showed me that the rigid was the best value for the money and one of the quietest available. That it is. I can now vacuum the shop without wearing ear protection! If this one lasts as long as the last one I will be very happy.
asypu7yn.jpg

Looks like a nice upgrade. been considering a newer smaller one for the house since all of the carpet is going, getting tired of lugging my 20 gallon down every week.

I have a 5 gallon Ridgid that I bought several years ago. It does all my dust collection, such as it is.It sucks pretty good. I think it's the best $30 (on sale) I ever spent on shop equipment. If it ever dies, I would get another one, maybe a bit bigger.

Last edited: