Knock down furniture - idea sources?

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
So Robs comment the other day on Daves stool thread about breakdown furniture dovetailed nicely with something I saw in the TFWW blog on campaign funiture:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/621/title/Campaign%20Furniture

Looks moderately interesting and I'm hesitating with my finger over the buy button (I have a book problem.. well not so much a book problem but a lack of bookshelf problem :D).

I was wondering if anyone else had gotten it yet - I've had somewhat mixed luck with Schwartz books sometimes I like them when they're pretty "functional and to the point" , sometimes its more noodling than I'm interested in reading. This looks about 50/50 to me.

Searching Amazon for "capaign furniture" yields a goodly handful of hits as well.

The overall concept is sort of interesting and seems worthy of a investing in some nighttime reading so was wondering if anyone had either a) looked at this one and/or b) had any other suggestions in the area.

Och! What's one more book? Reminds me of Monty Python. :D

I haven't seen the book so I can't say anything about it. I think the Schwarz is an interesting read no matter what.

If you're interested in building case pieces in the style, a Google image search would net you lots of options. Some of the fake campaign furniture is pretty awful, though. It looks like they just added some metal corner pieces to any old case and decided that makes it campaign style.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the book so I can't say anything about it. I think the Schwarz is an interesting read no matter what.

If you're interested in building case pieces in the style, a Google image search would net you lots of options. Some of the fake campaign furniture is pretty awful, though. It looks like they just added some metal corner pieces to any old case and decided that makes it campaign style.

Yeah I was more interested in it from a a more detailed design perspective than I think I can get from surface pics in this case. Some of the actual campaign pieces were quite ingeniously built and have a lot of ideas worth borrowing. Sometimes just a pic gets you the aha moment but a lot of the time with this stuff it seems the details are where the real interesting bits are (at least if you're looking at doing more than a surface repro).

A couple of years back we were at an antique store that had a knock down picnic/camp table that all broke down into itself and ended up as a small/narrow box. It was really well built (and somewhere around 80-100+ years old our best guess was pre-1930's but couldn't get it much more specific might have been older) and quite clever how it all broke down and packaged itself up.