Sharpening help

Ed has called me. He's determined to turn me into a turner.
If you see this Rob, think about a time we can visit Ed.
I'm retired and have few time constraints that I can't rearrange.

Guys i am up to my eyeballs with other things right now. Sadly. Got myself into some mechanical work thats eating any spare time i have. Thanks for thinking of me though, i could really do with some of Eds tutoring.

Late to the party, I really thought that I had replied to this thread :huh:

Here is a quick video I put together a while back.....

The article I mention in this video REALLY helped me get consistant results, you can get a PDF copy of it >> HERE <<

Still nothing beats hands on with someone who knows what they are doing, so I assume you are in good hands, but the set up jigs in this article are really worthwhile IMHO.

Cheers!

in 2 weeks I've ground away about 3 inches of metal

Like others have said that is a grossly excessive amount of metal to remove. I can only guess your wheel is too coarse a grit and you are using way-way too much pressure. I use a 120 grit and only about the weight of the tool for pressure. A couple seconds on each side is sufficient to sharpen. Even with very hard woods with high abrasive factors do not dull my tools real quickly. All I can suggest from here is to ease up with both sharpening and turning. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice.
Ed has the same gouge as I have and he says I might be exaggerating the amount of metal I removed. I'm doing better at sharpening but still need a lot of practice at turning.
I'm not getting much right now as I messed up my elbow while golfing.
Here's some advice: if you're 75 and your elbow starts barking with 4 holes to go, Don't try to " gut it out".

It's not easy sharpening a 1/4" gouge on a high speed grinder, even with a jig. That's why I use the 1" vertical belt sander.

Sometimes, when returning from a long ride, my wrists send me the same message, but my foots says tough luck.