Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mmmmmm....Bacon!

Mmmmmm....Bacon!

Here's a "bacon settle" from England built around 1780. Known as Bacon Settles, because the copious hanging space behind the seat was used to hang and store cured, salted and smoked meats. As the settles were invariably situated beside a fireplace, the cupboards were dry and not too humid and therefore provided perfect storage conditions for such preserved foodstuffs and such important household products such as wax for candles.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-29-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

That is awesome. I would love to build that. It would fit my home perfectly
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Here's another one. This one could sit against the wall.

Even better
    Faith, Hope & Charity

It would be great to have one of those full of cured bacon, too.

That is very cool and interesting.

Sorta looks like a Cabinet.

Re: Mmmmmm....Bacon!

Very nice. Would love to have one of those.

I have several questions related to the first piece and even second.

How deep do you think that middle cupboard is?

What would it hold or can be used for at the front door/in front hall. Seems very narrow for coats unless they just get hung on a hook i suppose. Our closets for coats have all had coat hangers to date. Of course this is a new concept to me did not have to use a coat where i came from and even if i did it never came off when visiting given no central heat.

Another thing would there be any support behind that huge wide panel on the first unit?

Also how would that unit be positioned i cannot visualize it in either a period house or modern house in such a way as to access rear????

Would love a dimensioned plan of these Dave

Thanks for brining them to our attention. Just thinking cool thing with sketchup would be being able to change wood and looks before building. Ie all maple or walnut or all nice burl veneer panels ooooohhhh just imagine.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Rob, these cabinets weren't for hanging coats. They were placed next to the fireplace and you hung your cured bacon and other cured meats in it. This would keep the bacon from getting quite so dusty and it would be a fairly dry place so good for that sort of thing.

I could figure out the dimensions and construction but I have several projects ahead including a presentation for 3D Basecamp in a few weeks.

that is one neat cabinet dave,, and i too can see one of those in my home for just settin and coats and hats in the storage areas sweet style for sure..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Neat pieces Dave you really captured the look and feel of them nice.

I am also somewhat curious about how you'd place the first one inside a house.. I guess it could be placed at a 90 to the fireplace a bit away from the wall.. I don't think you'd want to directly face the fireplace because that would block the heat/light from getting to the rest of the room.

Its a somewhat interesting design because it seems like a lot of older cabinet designs like that were freestanding but really designed to be against a wall like the second one. Having it more in the open does make sense for the use case though because you'd be able to avoid the moisture/draft/temperature loss that was common on a lot of old construction (at least most of what I've lived in ).

The second rendition would make a nice modern interpretation as a hall closet since most folks don't have a fireplace to hang their bacon next to anymore Not to mention I suspect that a lot of the bacon and other cured meats from that era were likely a bit riper than the modern palate might find appealing. You could retain the look/feel of the narrow cabinet and have swing out coat hangers (sorry Dave I know we're noodling adrift on your designs again - think of it this way you're inspiring us to at least think about these designs anyway ).

Rob: when my grandma from northern canada went to Hawaii quite a few years ago she complained that none of the restaurants had a place to hang your coat. The concept that you wouldn't need to carry your coat everywhere in case the temperature dropped below freezing at any day of the year was so foreign to her that she couldn't envision a place where people just plain didn't need coats