Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade slot mortiser

Homemade slot mortiser

Several guys asked to see pics of my slot mortiser. I had a PC router table that I out grew. I tried to sell it several times and no one wanted the darn thing. A friend of mine, Rick deRoque had made a slot mortiser that apeared in FWW it did not use balbearing slides or have the z axis adjustment. I went to look at it to get ideas. Rick just happend to have some extra ball bearing slides that he made me a great offer on. I was not even planning to use them in the SM when I left Rick's but the idea hit me on the way home. The FWW SM used t-track as the slides for the x-y table Rick used hardwood runners. i just wanted to give credit where it was due. There were several modifictions that I had to make but it is just a PC router table, ballbearing drawer slides, t-track, a press screw, some anle iron and mdf (from the HD cull pile) takes about a day and half to make. If you have questions I will try to answer them as best I can. BTW rick just got a Domino but don't tell his wife.

Here are the pics.

here you can see the fence mounting brackets they are reversed and modified. I had to cut relief slots in the tables for clearance.

There are two knobs to lock the z axix in adjustment. Please forgive my duct tape dust collection

This is as low as the z axis will adjust

This is as high as the z axis will adjust

Joe,

That is a great job! I was waiting for you to show this thing over here in the Jigs and Fixtures section. Looks like that it would work really slick. Good choice of photos to show the complete setup.

Thanks a lot!!! Allen

I think I understand how it works. The router table slides in the wood at the sides, which also provides support for the mechanism with the large screw. This provides your z motion. Is this correct?

Seems like a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood would work as well as the metal router table - just mount the router directly to the plywood.

A slot mortiser is so nice for making mortises. I used a professional model at school and have been wanting to make one for my home shop for a while now. Once you use a slot mortiser you'll never go back to jigs and a router for mortises.

Thanks for posting.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    If you look in the 2nd pic you can see the black brackets that held the fence on the old router table. they are waht keep the router bit parell to the the x y table as it moves up and down. I could not just replace the top with plywood and keep it square to the rest of the asembly and still have the adjustablity. the MDF on the sides support the press scres assembly which makes it easier to adjust the z axis but is not required. The also keep things from racking. It is the fence brackets that keep things lined up. You could probally make some brackets and fit them into dados there are probably even better soulutions. I was just putting a surplus piece of equipment to work. Saddleing the white elephant so to speak. Let me know if I am not being clear or can explain somthing better. I am not very versed in this. Thank for all the interest.
    joe
    Last edited by Joe Meazle; 04-12-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Hear is a closer pic.

Great job, Joe. I'm filing it away for the "to do someday" list. I've got a similar Sears benchtop router table that could easily be rigged much like you did with yours.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So many good ideas, so little space!

That is very well executed. Cool idea for re-use on the old RT top.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I just kinda made it up in a hurry. I don't have much invested in it but use it all the time. BTW the glue one the top has no function The SM lives under the table where I do my glue ups. Things get crazy when the glue starts to flow.
    Joe

Joe,

Thats is very impressive! I spent some time sketching one out for myself today. if only I didn't have so many projects hanging over my head right now, I would probably be building one.

I did price out the hardware today, and it looks like I could probably make one for under $200 (as I already have a Craftsman router that is not currently being used). If only I really needed it now, that would move it up the priority list.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe