Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Recommendations please

Drill Press Recommendations please

Ok so I am in the market for a floor mounted drill press. This time i want to get it right.

So whats a good floor mount drill press for woodworking and mechanical work and please no Delta recommendations, i wont support a company that dont keep parts for a few years old mass produced item where they messed up in the first place.

Thanks for any recommendations or what to look for.
    cheers

I know I shouldn't even post this, cause I'll get a lot of flak, but my Harbor Freight drill press has been performing flawlessly for 20+ years.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Last year I purchased the Jet, 17" that was for "wood workers". The only difference between it and the regular 17", I thought was it came with a bigger table. Now I'm thinking there is more to it. I recently saw one of the belts was starting to fray, so I thought I should get a new set to have on hand. Hummm I could only find one place to order them from and I also found out they are not the same built used in their other 17" DP. The ones that go an mine are not as heavy duty. Now I'm wondering about other parts that may be lighter duty then on the other 17". I'm telling this little story just as a caution if you are buying one, and it says "for woodworking" maybe you have better get the one not "for woodworking" it may be heavier duty. Just a thought, I have not research it because I have what I have and can't change it now. I kept my old DP and will use it for metal drilling and heavy stuff.
    "We the People ......"

I'm totally pleased with my Grizzley.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Happy with my Grizzly, too. And they are also know for being very customer friendly about things like parts.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    I know I shouldn't even post this, cause I'll get a lot of flak, but my Harbor Freight drill press has been performing flawlessly for 20+ years.
    Actually, I seem to remember the HF model was the top model in a DP tool review a few years back. Nothing magic about building a DP, and the imports all have some relation to each other. If money was no consideration I might look at that Powermatic that made for woodworker's.

I have the Grizzly G7946 Radial Drill-press & have been very happy with it.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500...10f8e55aeb.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill press 017.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

The ONE feature on my Jet is the stop adjustments on the quill. I can set the depth - but ALSO set the retract. I see that on no other. I bought the JET because of that one feature. I use that ALL the TIME.

If you never used it - you may never miss it. If you have it - there is no turning back.

In comparisons from one drill press to another - I think the only thing of any real importance is the play between the spindle and the housing. Second thing might be distance between spindle and upright shaft. Then Horsepower. The table size - maybe, but most people make a table, I did not.

Speeds - it's a bunch of sales hype. Unless you are drilling metals - speed doesn't really matter. There are huge debates over speeds, but I have been in the shop making all sort of hole in all sorts of woods. Going from a 1/16 drill to a 1" forstner bit all at 500 RPM in Pine or Oak or Maple -- it is all about the same. I get beat up all the time on this point - so a little more beating will not matter - but neither does the speeds.

All I am saying it - I would not pay a plug nickel for more than the standard number of speeds - and 3 speeds is plenty.

Heck Leo I run my DP on the lowest speed all the time. I do the same on the bench mount Duro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DuroDrillPress003.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I want to win PowerBall so I can manufacture a very good drill press that is within the financial means of the common man. I may not make a fortune but, I am sure to make a couple of thousand guys happy.

All I want is:
    - A 20" swing
    - Rock solid quill (my current one does not have this)
    - Table that tilts on X and Y axis (my current one does have this and I use it all the time)
    - Variable speed from a true 120 RPM to around 3000 RPM (my current one bottoms out at 250 RPM) or at least an easy belt changing mechanism like the Delta 18-900L
    - Easy of table raise/lower (my current one has a decent mechanism)
    - Easily operated quill lock / depth lock
    - A light with a long enough neck to get where I heed it and a small enough head to not be in the way once it gets there
    - A switched outlet for a vacuum (OK, I am getting silly now)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-02-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: punct.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke