Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wine rack

wine rack

this is a continuation of the thread in general woodworking.
    Today was the first day in weeks I was able to stand erect without much back pain, so I started up again on this unit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	82102

Heres where Im at now. Worked 3 hours today, limiting my time so my disks don't repay me.
    Its also one of the first decent days to work without heating on.

I sanded down to 120, obviously, the curves need more sanding, but I need to fill in some areas with wood filler before I paint anyway.
    Its assembled, did not attach the keyboard sides yet. I want to paint those separate, but each black key has to be cut and then shaped to fit in.
    I scored the white keyboard sides to look like keys. I will fill in the ambrosia maple holes with filler to paint. All I had in stock.

I did not have any measurements, only that poor picture to go by, but I think its coming along close enough.

My new router lift is worth its weight in gold to me. I cannot believe I went 5 years without a real router lift.

(this unit is made of hard maple, soft maple, yellow pine, and top and bottom are poplar, like I mentioned, using what I have in stock)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winerack 001.jpg   winerack 002.jpg   winerack 003.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    looking good man.

Coming along very nicely!
    "We the People ......"

Looking good Allen, what a fun project!

coming along nicely Allen!!!!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

I agree with all of the above. Glad to see you're getting some shop time, Allen.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very clever design, and looks very good so far. Just a suggestion. The wine bottle will sit better if the neck sits in the scoop you have in the front. If you installed the same structure in the back, the bottle will sit at the correct angle to keep the cork wet. IOW, it fits the wide part of the bottle, and props up the bottle.

, I will install a piece on the back of each shelf to raise the back of the bottle a bit.
    it isn't my design, it was in a wine store in Caesars Atlantic City, that's where the picture is from. Im just trying to copy it.
    Human Test Dummy

getting in a little more time today, still resting out the back, so enough to cut all the black keys, used whatever, pine, maple, mystery wood.
    22 black keys each side.
    I used a chamfer bit(45 degree) to cut 3 sides of the black keys to give it a little more realistic look, wont know if it does anything once painted.
    I made an error, I cut each key individually. Then I had to use a clamp to chamfer each of the 48 keys I made, it was time consuming to say the least.
    Every piece is now finished. When I get back next week Ill start filling in brad holes and anything else. Hopefully, I should be finished sanding and ready to prime by end of next week.
    Heres both sides of unit, nothing is attached yet, need to paint first.

the unit is on its side just for the pic.

(Im holding on to the template. Im thinking about making a chair rail type molding to put around my sons walls where he has his piano and guitars(he collects guitars, no real expensive ones), thought it would make unique molding, would do it in maple and walnut for black keys.
    future project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winerack2 002.jpg   winerack2 003.jpg   winerack2 004.jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Looking good Allen
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.