wine rack

I could have sworn I had posted to this thread a couple of times (???). I'm getting old fast :D. Anyway, I love the piano theme and think its great that you are making this for them. I agree on making something and then painting it as a turn off. Don't get me wrong, there are a variety of nice items that are painted. This project is one of them.

Allen i think u doing a really great job of this project. I doubt it would look good without being painted even if done in expensive contrasting woods.
But please show us those cows, from what i see those are real cool. Can u share where u got the plan or did u just draw it yourself. Maybe i am crazy but those are some real neat garden art.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I don't even remember where we purchased them from. It was a joke a while back, maybe 15 years ago, when we had our first barn like shed.
I said now all we need is some livestock and fencing and we have our own little farm, and then we had some cows with some plastic garden fencing for a laugh.
theyre starting to fall apart, but as long as the face looks good, I wont throw them out.

its done, just need to wait a week and then Ill have someone with a steadier hand do some touchups.
every time I tried to touch up, I got drips, black on white, white on black.
I glued the white key board in place, and shot 3 brads where black keys would cover the brad head so I could work and not wait for glue to dry.
I used one pin on each black key. I then took a small paint by number brush(like the kiddies use), dipped it into black paint, and filled the pin hole, then I brushed a coat along the top of each black key so it blends in ok.

I don't think this is my best piece of work.

I learned the hard way, mixing woods, especially putting some pine in it, paint and primer react different, causing me problems.
I had a lot of over spray, drips, and sanding them out seemed to make things worse. It was difficult for me to spray individually pieces and then assemble.
Upside, its only a wine rack for display, its not a piece of furniture, and Im throwing in 2 wine bottle stoppers.(no, Im not embarrassed to show my lack of turning talent either, people never complain to me when its free)

I tried to shoot some bad spots on the unit, not sure if its easy enough to see.(nah, pictures aren't clear enough, sorry, cell phone and unsteady hands)

and once again, the piece as I saw it in the window on display.

Put some felt footsies on the bottom so it doesn't mar any furniture.

btw, since I know people read latest posts, Ill just put this here, Im headed out to Lancaster/Hershey area of PA this weekend, if any family members are around and would like to say hi, Id stop over if youre close enough, not imposing on palm sunday, Ill be there Monday and Tuesday also.(my wife is off from school for the week)I know its short notice, as I might be leaving tomorrow afternoon, but pm me and Ill shoot over my cell.I blame this all on larry. When he came over to visit me, his lovely wife Randi got my wife hooked on quilting. Now she wants me to drive her 200 miles to 2 different quilting stores and wants to spend the day going in and out of quilting places. Sounds like heaven to me, huh? I think Im going to need valium lollipops for this trip. don't tell my wife I said that, I told her Im so looking forward to this weekend. Maybe Ill get me a nice piece of fabric.
hey bob-Im cleaning up and headed over to my favorite bagel place for turkey on whole wheat everything, too bad you aren't around today, I know you like those bagels.

Attachments

• 4-11-14 002.jpg
    4-11-14 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 4-11-14 003.jpg
    4-11-14 003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 4-11-14 007.jpg
    4-11-14 007.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4-11-14 008.jpg
    4-11-14 008.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 4-11-14 009.jpg
    4-11-14 009.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 4-11-14 011.jpg
    4-11-14 011.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Bravo! :clap: You may know of some flaws, but they sure don't show up from here. It looks great.

I have a keyboardist friend and former bandmate who collects all sorts of keyboard-themed stuff. He'd just about kill for this wine rack. :thumb:

Allen, you do get into some interesting projects.
I chuckled all through this thread. I assume you did the same through the "making" of the unit.

I know what you mean about painting. I glued and sanded a broken board on my neighbor's front porch swing...then I had to paint it.

Thanks for the show and

Enjoy,
JimB

my wife came home from work and I pointed out as many faults as I can and she told me Im an idiot, she thinks this is a masterpiece.
love is blind.

jim, I cursed as much as I laughed.

templating every piece is not my cup of tea.(or should I say glass of wine!)
although, the mlcs power router lift, I have to say it again, is the best investment Ive ever made.
I don't know how I went without any router lift for so long.
the router lift should be purchased along with the router, its such an important piece of any shop.

Last edited:
Yeah Sayer has it, there is no amateur in this piece of work.:) Thats Pro Allen. Well done. Going to hard to part with this piece. Should be a very happy recipient. And just what do you see as wrong with the stoppers. i think we all our own worst critic.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

And there it is. That came out just great Allen. sure to be treasured and a wonderful conversation piece. Just plain fun to look at.

That is very cool. I really like this piece - it turned out very well. You suffer from the same malady I do - CPOE. (Constantly pointing out errors)