Large Flat Buck Eye Burl finish Question

Dan Mosley

I have had this large pc of buck eye i got along time back sitting in the garage and decided to start doing something with it. My thought it to put a metal strap on the back and create a hanger for it so it can be hung up on a wall. The problem I have with it that I do not like it that it has had alot of the cracks filled with with some type of black powder stuff and im not real thrilled about it. However, there are no large drum sander in my area or planners that can handle this size of wood so im back to square one on what do do at this point.
Question: Any thoughts on this or the finishing ? i am stuck again on how to approach this...........................Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Slab-2.jpg
    Slab-2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Slab-3.jpg
    Slab-3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Slab-4.jpg
    Slab-4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Slab-5.jpg
    Slab-5.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Slab-6.jpg
    Slab-6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 24
Well there are lots of ground up rock available for inlaying and filling cracks. I've seen pictures of lots of bowls with turquoise in in the cracks that looks nice. Some use coffee grounds. But personally on a large burl like that, I would think cracks are part of the beauty. Just me, I'm old and cracked.

In your position with no access to a large-format sander, I think I'd just use a hand-held belt sander and be very careful running it to try to keep the top as flat as possible.