Narrowed to two Routers - need your advice

Kevin Sadaj

I'm considering the Bosch 1617 or the Triton TRA001. The Bosch is a bit cheaper - It would total about $230 including the router and the router base that will allow adjustments from above the table. The Triton is 3 1/4 HP and includes the plunge and above table adjustments and is about $250.

Anyone have experience with either or advice. One is German and the other Aussie.

That particular Triton gets regular reviews that mention it's very top heavy for hand held work, but apparently a well made router (I have the smaller Triton model on it's way to me). But I think the 1617 would be more practical for day to day use. Besides having 2 bases, it has more than adequate power for hand held use, and quite acceptable in a RT. It's a win-win choice, just consider what the predominant usage would be. If it's hand held, I'd say go with Bosch, if' it's for table mounting (only) then the Triton might be the better choice. (IMHO).

This is a tough call Kevin. I know of people who are happy with both. My reckoning would be if you going to leave the router in a table then go triton. If you going to use it for all sorts go with Bosch. The best solution of course is both. :) lol who said having two routers was enough?

I put my two cents in on the other thread but, given a choice between those two, and your intended method of use, I would go with the Bosch. The Triton is great for the table but, as mentioned, a bit top heavy. The controls are also a bit convoluted for we Americans. Since you will be swapping back and forth from table to hand held, the Bosch makes more sense. I still stand by my previous recommendation though :).

I put my two cents in on the other thread but, given a choice between those two, and your intended method of use, I would go with the Bosch. The Triton is great for the table but, as mentioned, a bit top heavy. The controls are also a bit convoluted for we Americans. Since you will be swapping back and forth from table to hand held, the Bosch makes more sense. I still stand by my previous recommendation though :).

I would second Glenn's line of thinking.

I do not think you will be disappointed with either router, but be warned, you WILL need another router down the road, I have four.... and that is a LOT for my small shop... :D

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards Bosch. Und das ist Super, weil ich deutschsprachig bin! (Super because i can speak German.)

Just a minor detail to my original post. I did a little more looking and i can actually get away with not buying the second base. I may eventually get a small trim router, but since I dont do a bunch of routing (I think) i cant justify spending the $60 for the second base.