Updated Shop Tour: Things have changed.

Kevin Vernon

Willkommen, Amigos!

In the past, I have posted various "Shop Tour" threads. As a preface, allow me to link to them here.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?7449-Tour-Time!-(Inline-pics-dialups-take-note)

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?10624-New-Bench-Drawers-in-the-shop

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?16173-In-which-we-add-a-new-router-table-to-the-chaos

Ok, so with that in mind - on with the show!!!

We start, with a graphic representation of the current Shop layout:

shop layout.jpg

Working our way around the shop, we begin with Bench #2, the Large tool cabinet & benchtop drillpress.

P1010022 (2).jpg

Around the corner, we see Bench #1, Shelves above, 6-drawer cabinet below, with the air compressor.

P1010023 (2).jpgP1010024 (2).jpg

Past that, is the Clamp Wall - attached to the brickwork that used to be the exterior wall of the fireplace, before this long 3rd garage bay was added.

P1010026 (2).jpgP1010027 (2).jpgP1010025 (2).jpg

Next to that is a rack of shelves for storage.

P1010028 (2).jpg

The back wall of the bay has the door to the backyard, Bench #3, the Spindle Sander, and the small Harbor Freight dust collector.

P1010030 (2).jpg

There is a limit of 10 photos per post, so we have reached the end of Part 1. The sequel will be along in mere moments.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking!

-Kevin in Indy

The Return of Shop Tour - Part 2, the Sequel

We were, if you recall from our last meeting, at the very back of the shop. We shall now turn our attention forwards, and continue with this very special guided tour.

Next on the agenda is the Router Table - which as you can see, serves multiple purposes, with cabinet space, drawers, and the Scroll Saw firmly attached.

P1010017 (2).jpgP1010031 (2).jpgP1010015 (2).jpgP1010016 (2).jpg

Also in those photos, was the small tool cabinet. On to the new BIG dust collector. Tempest, 3.5 HP, installed, but not entirely hooked up as yet - still a work in progress.

P1010012 (2).jpg

Then we come to the lumber rack - the shelving unit at the end, nearest the overhead door, is small cutoffs, sorted by type. There is a shelf for pine "construction lumber", a shelf for hardwoods, one for plywood, one for composites (particleboard, MDF, etc) and a couple of small boxes for exotics.

P1010009 (2).jpgP1010008 (2).jpg

As the orchestra strikes the fanfare and the credits roll, realization hits that we have reached the end of Part 2. Stay tuned to this channel, Part 3 will be along after this brief commercial break.

-Kevin in Indy

The Updated Shop Tour, Part 3: Shop Tour's Revenge!

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends! (Apologies to Emerson, Lake & Palmer)

From the lumber rack, we turn our attention past the overhead door, which normally lives with its opener unplugged - things often rest against that door, I don't ever want it to start to open by accident. As an added bonus, the entire overhead door opening has a screen installed, I can open that door & get plenty of flow-through ventilation on nice days.

Which brings us to Bench # 4, the Chop Saw, and the mobile tool platforms. The height of the bench was driven by wanting the ability to store the mobile tools below, and the whole thing is a large extension area for the chopsaw. The mobile carts have the following tools installed on them - with revolving platforms: The left cart has a 6" jointer above, with a bench grinder and small belt/disc sander below. The right hand cart has a much larger belt/disc sander above, and a 15" planer below. Star knobs are loosened, the required tool is rotated to the top, knobs re-tightened, and the cart is rolled to any convenient location, connected to power & DC & work commences.

P1010005 (2).jpgP1010007 (2).jpgP1010006 (2).jpgP1010001 (2).jpg

Next to that, we find the large drill press, and the modest 10" bandsaw.

P1010018 (2).jpgP1010019 (2).jpgP1010003 (2).jpg

Then, finally, the core item in any shop - the table saw. The Ridgid hybrid granite top saw - a heavy beast, but I quite like it.

P1010010 (2).jpgP1010013 (2).jpgP1010011 (2).jpg

And that, friends & neighbors, is the current state of the Shop. No, there's no lathe - I'd love to have 2, a small one for light work & pen turning, and a big one. I'd love to have a BIG bandsaw, I'd enjoy a proper panel saw, but that's truly a luxury. I really do want to get a fair-sized CNC router setup as well, a BIG disc sander & a drum sander are also on my list - but all that is going to require the ability to expand the shop into the adjacent 2-bay garage space, and that just isn't happening anytime soon.

Unlike George Lucas, this trilogy is NOT going to turn into a trilogy of trilogies - this is truly the end.

Hope you've enjoyed my story & thanks so much for dropping by my modest shop for a visit.

-Kevin in Indy