Thread: Another "What is it?"

Another "What is it?"

Hi Gang

There's a new set of photos up on the "What is it?" site.

Link

I missed last week entirely (got a house guest) - be sure to take a look at last week's set for a very attractive wood plane. I'm sure lots of you will recognise this type of plane.

Some pretty obscure (to me) stuff this week. Check out the new items and tell us here what your guesses are.

Enjoy!

And yeah, I've gone over to a larger type size. I'm staring 49 in the face and it's time to make some concessions - dangnabbit !

All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

#956 has to be a combination tool for muzzle loading rifles and muskets. The 'corkscrew' would be used for pulling patches lost at the bottom of the bore. The screwdriver end for tightening the jaws holding the flint. The tiny hammer for knapping (sharpening) flints. The pointy wire for clearing touch holes. The jaws also could be used for sharpening flints. And there are a couple features I'm not sure about. I've never seen a combo tool for flint muzzle loaders quite like that one. No doubt, it came from a cased set of high end guns.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

954 is a generator of some sort. Maybe a Van De Graff generator. The jar under tthe the fork thing is a Leyden Jar--a big capacitor.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I posted, or rather tried to, an edit yesterday that vanished. Oh, well. What, I said, if I can reconstruct it was that, on reflection, I believe the tool pre-dates flintlocks and might have been used for a wheel-lock. The wrench thingy on one of the jaws could have been used to turn the wheel against the spring that powered the action. There are several other features which are puzzling. But, I'm still sure it was part of a cased set with a very high-end presentation quality firearm or firearms.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire