gloss finish using waterlox

Chuck Beland

guys what's the best way to get a high gloss finish using waterlox? what type of sanding sealer should I use before it or do i need any I have the original brand of waterlox. this one here original waterlox or should i also get a quart of the high gloss to use over the original ???

Last edited:
I think I's just use the Waterlox Original High Gloss. If you look at the MSDS, they are pretty much the same; the biggest difference seems to be the solvent component of the High Gloss is a tiny bit more and a slightly different mix but the resins are listed as the same. I'd also skip the sanding sealer, but that's just me......

You could use it, but from their site: Produces a medium sheen appearance (75° gloss level when finished; fades to a 50-55° gloss level in 3-6 months). Depending on the gloss you are looking for you might be happier with a straight wiping varnish.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif
movingplane1.gif

That 75° gloss level must be for Waterlox Original, the High Gloss refers to itself as 85°. I did find on one of their spec sheets where they just recommend the last coat being the High Gloss, over the top of the Original for the highest gloss possible. Take a look at the spec sheets here. (technical downloads button) They also didn't mention the High Gloss faded, though I did see the reference Cabinetman alluded too.